Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to move a field from an inherited object (product.product) to parent (product.template)?

By
Dimitrios Tanis
on 5/8/15, 9:04 PM 484 views

I'm designing product specification reports (for a food industry) and I have the following issue:

There are several fields in the variant (aka product.product) that will be the same among ALL product variations. eg. use_time, track_production.

The product.product object inherits (decorates actually) the product.template object so everything in the latter is inherited to the former.

What would make sense is to move those fields from product.product to product.template so as to not re-enter the same information for each variant, make updating and reporting easier.

The questions are:

1. Will writing a module that simply adds the fields in product.template collide with the field definitions in product.product? (I don't know how openERP handles decorator inheritance)

2. If so, is there a way to remove fields from product.product module (from code in a module, that is)

A workaround would be to add an onchange function for each of these fields so when one gets updated it updates all the other products that are based on the same template, but that beats the whole meaning of product.template + is error prone.

PS. We are running v7

Anyone, please? I've been searching for 2 days and still haven't found anything.

Dimitrios Tanis
on 5/11/15, 6:32 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 5/8/15, 9:04 PM
Seen: 484 times
Last updated: 5/12/15, 1:29 AM