This question has been flagged
6 Replies

When you have multiple MOs all of which have large BOMs it becomes critical to know if you have all the parts on order or you will soon have a shortage of inventory bottle neck on your manufacturing line.

What is the best approach to know if you have all the parts on order necessary to fulfil your MOs?

Discard
Best Answer

Filter Products based on Forecasted Quantity

This is how Odoo knows what to order - even if it can't order - so if you have any issues with routes, vendors, bills of materials or reordering rules this is the place to check products that aren't being dealt with:

Discard
Author

Thanks Ray. This was my suspicion as the only way to go about this. thank you for clarifying the issue for me.

The forecast will change based on purchase orders. So if you order 8 iMac's your Forecasted Quantity would change to 4. (It knows it needs 4, and after those 8 come in your will have four available).

Best Answer

Hi, Phillip,

Please have a look at this module - https://apps.odoo.com/apps/modules/12.0/mrp_product_prognosis/. It is a paid solution, but, I guess, it does exactly what you asked for. The tool calculates hierarchically the shortage in components, and returns how much it is possible to produce and what is a bottleneck.

Discard
Author

Thanks, I will take a look at this. Frustrating that it is not available out of the box. However I will take a look regardless.

Best Answer

You run the scheduler : Inventory->Operation-Runs Scheduler. Before that you have created "Reordering rules" for your products. 

When scheduler runs, it create Purchase orders and Manufacturing orders for what you are missing.  Best practice is to run it automatic every night.

What I find missing is a tool that tells you that you are late - you cannot deliver on time,  because replenishment time is to long.  There should be some reports on that, and there should be some calculation on the sales order telling if you can keep your promises to customers. 

Discard
Author

Thanks Lars. I appreciate your input on this. I agree that this is the procedure. However it still makes it a matter of faith that you have properly configured routes and reordering rules for all products necessary to fulfil orders.

If there is no other solution than simply trusting that you have your configuration correct then I guess that is just the way it is.

For instance, let's say that I have one product misconfigured and it is missing the reordering rule. How would I know from a birds eye perspective that after running the scheduler that the part is not on order? I am really hoping for a feature that displays a view that says Here are the parts you need, and here is what we have ordered with clear indication of where the shortages are should they exist.

I hope I am not coming off as argumentative here. From what I can see your answer is correct. But do you see how it really does not answer the question of "How to know when to order".

Thanks again Lars!

To this I can only say that it is mandatory to be in control of all masterdata. Whatever ERP system you are running. There are tools to download and mass update masterdata.

And on each MO you can check easy if you have everything available, and what is missing. But I think it only check existing stock, and does not check for expected incoming.