Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to install and properly debug two versions of openerp in Ubuntu?

By
Alexei R. Acosta
on 4/28/14, 3:59 PM 2,545 views

Hello I need to install and properly debug openerp v6.1 and openerp v7.0 in Ubuntu. If I install just one version (entering to downloaded file with latest code source and running in console python setup.py install), its libraries are added to python libraries, and I can debug perfectly using Pycharm. But if I install a second version, this one overwrite the conf file. I need to install both versions and be able to debug, because I'm developing in both versions.

Any help, thanks in advanced

Regards.

Martin

--Martin--
| 5 6 8
Cornwall, Canada
--Martin--

Analysing, designing, coding and mentoring since 1975. Kilobytes to terabytes. Punch cards to punchy sites. My OpenERP video series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq7op4J183lX44ZlXPiHxUpRvmmRDtxye My Google Speadsheets --> OpenERP Data Pump project: http://martinhbramwell.github.io/GData_OpenERP_Data_Pump My email (with spaces removed) : mhb . warehouseman @ gmail . com

Martin
On 4/29/14, 11:09 PM

Your immediate answer is virtualenv (and virtualenvwrapper to make it even easier). Here's another good tutorial.

However, the sanest thing you can do as a developer is to use full machine virtualization. VMWare, VirtualBox, Xen, KVM and others all make it ridiculously easy. I have dozens of 8 - 20Gb virtual machines on my hard disk. Windows XP, Windows 7, Tail and many, many different installations of Ubuntu with different editions of OpenERP, Joomla, WordPress and so on.

Any experimentation I need to do, I start up a VM, mess around fearlessly, shovel anything I need to keep out to GitHub and kill it when I'm done.

Yeah man I were thinking do something like that using debootstrap, which seems to be useful for software testing without overwrite or damage host OS.

Alexei R. Acosta
on 4/30/14, 10:38 AM

Cool stuff. I had not heard about debootstrap. Thanks for the tip, but I doubt if I'll ever use it. Beginning with KVM a few years ago totally changed the way I work. One day I'll set up my own Apache CloudStack. In the meantime, I've rented a space from http://iwStack.com/. Cheap as dirt: A KVM instance with 1Gb memory, 2 vCPUs and 10Gb disk would cost you $0.01 per hour, for the times you used it. They do want $40 initial credit, but that would last you half a year if you ran it full-time. So good I made a video about it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPC1fAigDbY&feature=youtu.be

Martin
on 4/30/14, 2:53 PM

Cool stuff too.

Alexei R. Acosta
on 5/2/14, 2:19 PM

Grover Menacho

--Grover Menacho--
| 5 7 8
La Paz, Bolivia
--Grover Menacho--

Systems Engineer + MBA

Grover Menacho
On 4/29/14, 2:03 PM

Go to openerp/tools/config.py Look for

if os.name == 'nt':
            rcfilepath = os.path.join(os.path.abspath(os.path.dirname(sys.argv[0])), 'openerp-server.conf')
        else:
            rcfilepath = os.path.expanduser('~/.openerp_serverrc8')

And change the name of the file. In my case i'm using openerp_serverrc8 for v8

I tried your solution man, but I had the same problem. When I try to debug the first installation, its config is overwritten with the last one (v7).

Alexei R. Acosta
on 4/29/14, 5:44 PM

Med Said BARA

--Med Said BARA--
| 5 5 7
Algeria
--Med Said BARA--
Med Said BARA
On 4/28/14, 4:29 PM

Install them in different folders, and change the port of the second instance (other than the default port 8069).

Response Added after comment.

let's take an example, assuming that you followed the steps described here; assuming also that Postgres is installed.

1- When you reach the step "move to the install directory", create the directory name according to your version (e.g mkdir /opt/openerp/v7 and mkdir /opt/openerp/v6.1) and continue to the next step ...

2- When creating the openerp-server.conf (you can rename it according to the openerp version) or you can use the same name but when copying it to the /etc/ folder , copy it in a subfolder ( /etc//V6.1 or /etc/V7 ).

3- Do the same thing for the openerp-server-log (put them in two separate subfolder under ./var/log/)

3- The Last step is to create a Boot Script under /etc/init.d/ for each instance (Look how to do it here at step 7:

Edit the scripts, and modify the lines related to the paths to the DAEMON, CONFIG, and LOGFILE, you can also choose different names for each running instance (e.g openerp-server7 and openerp-server61)

Don't forget to change the port of the second instance !!!

And remember:

The Two (or more) instances of openERP must be installed in different folders, and pointing each one to different openerp-server.conf, openerp-server.log, and init script files.

Thanks for your answer. But like I said, when I install the second version (v7), I'm not able to run the other version. In the home directory is created the openerp_serverrc file, here is where I configure db_user, db_host etc, and the problem is that both installed versions use this file, and obviously that's wrong. How can we create two files, allowing to execute properly openerp-server script file, located in the directory owned to each openerp version inside for example in my case:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openerp-6.1_1-py2.7.egg/EGG-INFO/scripts. Any help, thanks in advanced

Alexei R. Acosta
on 4/29/14, 11:02 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 4/28/14, 3:59 PM
Seen: 2545 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM