Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to implement Knowledge Management? [Closed]

By
ton123
on 2/10/13, 10:48 AM 4,214 views

The Question has been closed for reason: duplicate question

by
Antonin Bourguignon (abo)
on 02/14/2013 13:50:43

Method of storage. I find it difficult to choose how to implement the knowledge module. Standard v6.1 the documents are stored in the database but it is also possible in the filestore. Both external filestore and internal filestore are possible. Can somebody give an idea of the pro's and con's?

I know some: If the documents are in the database their backup is included in the backup procedure for the database. It looks also more robust, the connection cannot be broken. However a filestore looks more familiar and the documents can also be accessed without OpenErp. Performance and backuptime are no issues for me because I have only < 5000 documents with total < 50GB. Yes it will grow but will stay far below 1TB. I have tested first with the database. After that I implemented the filestore. The result was I couldn't open the documents that were stored in the database. I received the message "Error reading the file. Unable to read the file. This can be solved via Knowledge / Config / Storage Media. Set back to Type: Database. And all in te database stored documents are back again. Now filestore documents are dissapeared. For a while I tested further with Type: Database. However storing files of more than 200Mb give errors. And somewere I have read 7.0 only supports databasestore, filestore is not functioning anymore. Bug or Feature? Can somebody with more experience give some more insight and advice on this?

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 2/14/13, 12:25 PM

Added this reply from Houssine BAKKALI (launchpad community alias about this topic):

it seems that they just changed the way to do it, but the way to configure it still undocumented...

By default attachments are stored in the database. You may choose to store them on the filesystem by setting an ir.config.parameter (Settings->Technical->Parameters-System parameters) named ir_attachment.location

Example if you set ir_attachment.location to file:///filestore

They will be stored in the filesystem at openerp root_path/filestore, the new system uses sha1 to generate the filename so that duplicate files don't take more space.

Only the file:/// scheme is implemented, modules can implement additional scheme like amazons3:///

In database mode the data is stored in ir_attachment.db_datas. Filestore mode file name is stored in ir_attachment.db_datas_fname.

Those names 'are note great' but we kept them for backwards compatibility.

Ian Beardslee
On 2/10/13, 6:45 PM

At this point I'd suggest that if you have plans to upgrade from 6.1 to Version 7, you stick with the database storage.

Unfortunately the ability to store files on the file system has been removed from 7.0 see the Launchpad bug report 1093977 (sorry can't post links direct to the bug).

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 2/10/13, 10:48 AM
Seen: 4214 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM