Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to handle a workflow in which changes to customer orders during packaging are the norm?

By
Shahar Or
on 4/18/13, 3:34 PM 1,512 views

Short version

We have a workflow where almost all customer orders need to be changed during packaging. This is due to fresh produce like vegetables. For example, while the order from the customer is 3kg of tomatoes, we supply and charge for 3.1kg of tomatoes.

How would you deal with this?

My confusion stems from the fact that Sales Orders are not meant to be edited.

A longer description

I've got a work flow in a food marketing business that I couldn't so far been able to wrap an OpenERP implementation around.

I'm new at OpenERP so, again, please bear with me.

The workflow of this food marketing business is:

1. Customers make orders online. An example order for our case would be 3kg of tomatoes (usually orders are multiple items but this is enough for the example)
  2. We have only Stockable Products, both Make to Stock (rice, oats, etc.) and Make to Order (Fruits, Vegetables, etc.). Once a week, on the day before packaging day, the purchasing manager examines the totals of all the Make to Order products that were sold that week and orders them from our suppliers.
  3. On the next day, all the Make to Order products are received and the packaging team edits the orders while packaging them. For example, while an order was 3kg of tomatoes, the employee managed to weigh 3.1kg of tomatoes. This is usual and acceptable.

We are considering OpenERP Magento Connector for 7.0 (in development) as an online store. This may or may not be relevant to the issue. It may as well be phone ordering. In any case, sales orders are created, and once they are confirmed (not quotations any more) it is not recommended to change them, I was told by community members.

First question: what documents do the packaging team edit during packaging of the order? Is it the Sales Orders? Is it the Invoices? Is it the Delivery Orders? Both Invoices and Delivery Orders?

Second question: how does the purchasing manager know the quantity of each Make to Order product to order from our suppliers? Please bear in mind that this is one day before packaging day. Perhaps from the Forecasted Stock of each Make to Order product?

What would be your solution?

Does this require adding an new type of document and perhaps even more modifications?

Thanks, Shahar

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)

--Fabien Pinckaers (fp)--
| 6 8 8
fsdsdfsdf, Belgium
--Fabien Pinckaers (fp)--

Odoo Founder & CEO

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)
On 4/19/13, 3:10 AM

it's not a problem.

Just set your invoicing method to "invoice based on delivery orders" in Settings/Sales. You should not change the quantities on the sale order but on the delivery order/packing. (it's not because you deliver more/less than the customers ordered more/less).

Please note that fruit and vegetables are not make to order, but make to stock (eventually with a maximum order point of 0 kg) If you do a minimum stock rule, draft purchase orders are created automatically for purchase manager. (you may have one per day, so you may have to group then before buying or launch the scheduler weekly)

Thank you for the answer, Fabien, Can you please elaborate on "(it's not because you deliver more/less than the customers ordered more/less)"? It mighty be grammatically incorrect so I don't get it.

I've been pondering and trying different combinations of (Consumable/Stockable)+(MTS/MTO) and I think that you're right. Consumable+MTS is the most suitable method for us. Although we do not keep physical stock of fruit & veggies. What we do is "lock down" sales at a certain time of the week and then order fruits & veggies from our suppliers according to the amounts that we are going to deliver.

Shahar Or
on 4/20/13, 5:05 AM

So the combination of Consumables+MTS on fruits and veggies is a good one because, and I was surprised to discover this, that even when I don't set up orderpoints for each fruit & veggie then when I run the automatic orderpoint scheduler I get draft PO's for all of them that are forecasted with negative amount. Can you please comment on this to let me know whether I'm in the right direction?

Shahar Or
on 4/20/13, 5:09 AM

More to the point of the question and the answer, on the topic of the editing while packaging: Since I selected automatic triggering of DO from SO then the DO's are already closed. That means I can't edit them. So in your suggestion did you assume that I would have automatic triggering of DO's from SO's turned off or am I missing something, please?

Shahar Or
on 4/20/13, 6:53 AM

I see now that DO's, even in draft state, don't allow the editing of the quantities of the items. When in edit mode and clicking on a line, a window opens titled "Open: Internal Moves". I don't know what that means but I've tried changing that quantity in that window from, for example, 3kg tomatoes to 2.9kg tomatoes, due to weighing, and that works but this extra window in order to edit the amount is a big time waster if you multiply it about 500 times per week. Is this what you suggested, please?

Shahar Or
on 4/20/13, 8:22 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 4/18/13, 3:34 PM
Seen: 1512 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM