Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to get a virtual recordset from an ordinary recordset?

By
Temur
on 11/25/16, 9:20 AM 171 views

As described here onchange methods are called with virtual recordset by Odoo, if a corresponding field is changed. Say I have the following onchange method:

@api.onchange('my_field')
def onchange_my_field(self):
pass

when Odoo calls this method internally, the "self" is a virtual recordset. However, I have a scenario where I would like to call this method manually, from the another object method, where I do NOT have virtual recordset, but a normal recordset instead, so if I call the onchange method like this:

self.onchange_my_field()

it gets called with ordinary recordset instead of virtual recordset (consequently the final result is as expected, except of huge difference in performance).

In order to avoid the performance penalty, I would like to get somehow virtual recordset from the ordinary "self" recordset I have for the moment and than call the onchange function using it. i.e. something like:

rec = get virtual recordset from self
rec.onchange_my_field()

it comes down to the question: How to get a virtual record/recordset from an ordinary record/recordset?

Axel Mendoza

--Axel Mendoza--
| 7 7 8
Camaguey, Cuba
--Axel Mendoza--

DevOps - Full stack - Software Architect - Developer - Technology Integrator

I could help you to develop anything and solve complex problems based on technologies, integrations and tricky stuffs mostly in Python with OpenERP/Odoo, Zato, Django and many others frameworks programming languages and technologies.

I offers consulting services to anyone with an unanswered questions or needs for customizations. Think about it, maybe it's better to have an expert to solve your issues and projects than having a full time employee trying to understand what to do an how

Reach me at aekroft@gmail.com

Axel Mendoza
On 11/27/16, 7:26 AM

Hi Temur

You could do it using the "new" method like this:

invoice_id = self.env['account.invoice'].new(vals)
invoice_id._onchange_partner_id()
invoice_vals = invoice_id._convert_to_write(invoice_id._cache)

Where vals is a normal dict of vals for the virtual record and invoice_vals will have the resulting virtual record modifications made by the onchange call. If you don't have the vals and you need to pass all the vals from a record you could use the method copy_data to get it by it's id like:

#from a recordset one record
vals = self.copy_data()
#from a record by id
vals = self.browse(id).copy_data()

also the copy_data method accept an optional dict argument with the default data for the result dict

Thanks Axel for your reply. I tried it and a code "vals = self.copy_data()" followed by "self.env['some.model'].new(vals)" gave me an error. I'll investigate the error deeper as soon as I'll have some spare time. I forgot to mention in my question that server used is a v9, should it work in v9 as well? Or you were referring to a different version?

Temur
on 12/2/16, 8:47 AM

That is the way of the new api, no matter what version you are using, v8, v9, v10 or master.

Axel Mendoza
on 12/2/16, 2:00 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 11/25/16, 9:20 AM
Seen: 171 times
Last updated: 11/30/16, 6:13 PM