Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to find the correct xpath for an inherited sales.order form?

By
Wouter Tebbens
on 7/15/14, 9:20 AM 5,523 views

I'm trying to extend the sales.order object with a field called Number_Pages. Therefore I have created a module with the following code (in odoo v7):

from openerp.osv import fields, osv

class order_printing(osv.osv):
        _inherit = "sale.order.line"
        _columns = {
          'Number_Pages': fields.integer('Number of Pages', size=4)
         }
        _defaults ={
          'Number_Pages': 1
         }

order_printing()

I'd like to include this field right after the product_id in the sales.view_order_form. So in Debug mode I go to create a sales order and choose the Manage Views. That gives me the sale.view_order_form external ID. Looking into the XML through the webinterface I can see the html structure as follows: view/form/sheet/notebook/page/field (name='order_line')/form/group/group/field(name='product_id')

And as Grover Menacho observes I should not only include the field in the form view but also in the tree view. They're both in the sales.view_order_form.

So following documentation and blogs about this, I've written the following XML file for the inherited Sales Order view:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<openerp>
    <data>
        <record model="ir.ui.view" id="order_printing">
            <field name="name">sale.order.form</field>
            <field name="model">sale.order</field>
            <field name="inherit_id" ref="sale.view_order_form" />
           <field name="arch" type="xml">
                  <xpath  
                    expr="//field[@name='order_line']/form/field[@name='product_id']"
                    position="after">
                  </xpath>
                  <xpath
                    expr="//field[@name='order_line']/tree/field[@name='product_id']"
                    position="after">
                    <field name="Number_Pages"/>
                  </xpath>
            </field>

</record>
     </data>
</openerp>

It gives me the XML validation error when trying to install it. I've tried a few things, changing the xpath, or without the xpath, just referring to the field, but it comes back with the same error all the time. I guess there's something really simple that I'm doing wrong... Anyone? (edited in bold after Hiren Vora's and other's suggestions).

This is the error I'm getting:

AttributeError: View definition error for inherited view '' on model 'sale.order': Element '<xpath expr="//field[@name='order_line']/form/field[@name='product_id']">' not found in parent view 'sale.view_order_form'
2014-07-16 11:15:03,352 7446 ERROR test_2 openerp.tools.convert: Parse error in /home/wouter/odoo-dev/custom-modules/order_printing/order_printing.xml:4:
            <field name="inherit_id" ref="sale.view_order_form"/>
                  <data><xpath expr="//field[@name='order_line']/form/field[@name='product_id']" position="after">
                  </xpath>
                  <xpath expr="//field[@name='order_line']/tree/field[@name='product_id']" position="after">
                  </xpath>
            </data></field>
          </record>

@Wouter - Can you post the error msg here, so that I can try to solve it.

Hiren Vora - CEO at Emipro Technologies Pvt. Ltd. India
on 7/15/14, 9:25 AM

@Wouter - I think you have wrongly inherited the model, It should be 'sale.order.line' as you want to put the field after the 'product_id' of sale order line object.

Hiren Vora - CEO at Emipro Technologies Pvt. Ltd. India
on 7/15/14, 9:30 AM

Grover Menacho

--Grover Menacho--
| 5 7 8
La Paz, Bolivia
--Grover Menacho--

Systems Engineer + MBA

Grover Menacho
On 7/15/14, 7:03 PM

Try with this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<openerp>
    <data>
            <field name="name">sale.order.form.inherit</field>
            <field name="inherit_id" ref="sale.view_order_form" />
                <xpath
                    expr="//field[@name='order_line']/form/group/group/field[@name='product_id']"
                    position="after">
                </xpath>

<xpath
                    expr="//field[@name='order_line']/tree/field[@name='product_id']"
                    position="after">
                </xpath>
            </field>
          </record>
     </data>
</openerp>

First xpath adds your field to the form, and the second one to the tree inside the order

why did you include "group/group in the first expression? I have updated my question with more details above. Thanks

Wouter Tebbens
on 7/16/14, 7:33 AM

Thanks Grover (and all of you for helping out), now it's working! I finally applied these two xpaths as you mentioned. So indeed the group/group thing and including the Number_Pages field in both expressions. <xpath expr="//field[@name='order_line']/tree/field[@name='product_id']" position="after">

Wouter Tebbens
on 7/16/14, 9:51 AM

Hi Wouter,

Now as you have inherited proper model, try the xpath expression that you have tried earlier,  I have made one change in this - added the field name of order_line
  <xpath  expr="/form/sheet/notebook/page/field[@name='order_line']/form/group/group/field[@name='product_id']" position="after">

because If you look at the error it tries to find the field "Number_pages" under sale.order, which is not there, so do the way you did it earlier.

ok, but it still produces the error: it can't find the xpath expression in the view...

Wouter Tebbens
on 7/16/14, 7:18 AM

Jagdish Panchal

--Jagdish Panchal--
| 5 3 6
Gandhinagar, India
--Jagdish Panchal--

OpenERP Developer

Jagdish Panchal
On 7/16/14, 7:40 AM

Hi

Try this code :

<xpath expr="//field[@name='order_line']/tree/group/group/field[@name='product_id']" position="after">
                </xpath>
            </field>
          </record>

Jagdish, I followed your advice, but a similar error: AttributeError: View definition error for inherited view '' on model 'sale.order': Element '<xpath expr="//field[@name='order_line']/tree/group/group/field[@name='product_id']">' not found in parent view 'sale.view_order_form'

Wouter Tebbens
on 7/16/14, 8:07 AM

Maniganda

--Maniganda--
| 5 7 7
Bangalore, India
--Maniganda--
Maniganda
On 7/15/14, 9:48 AM

@Wouter- The xpath which you have written

<xpath
                    expr="/form/sheet/notebook/page/field/form/group/group/field[@name='product_id']" position="after">
   </xpath>

will try to find the field "product_id" in sale_order_line object, but you have created the field 'Number_Pages' in sale_order object, this will give an invalid xml architecture error.

either you can create the field in sale_order _line and use the xpath which you have already written in your code or you can write a xpath sale_order object directly like

<xpath
                    expr="//field[@name='name']" position="after">
   </xpath>

Wouter Tebbens
On 7/15/14, 10:09 AM

Hiren Vora, I've corrected the model to sale.order.line in the python script (in bold now above), but the same error.

Maniganda, ok, I've changed the xpath expression into

<xpath
                    expr="//field[@name='product_id']" position="after">
                </xpath>

The detailed error message is:

'View error', u"Can't find field 'Number_Pages' in the following view parts composing the view of object model 'sale.order':\n * sale.order.form.inherit\n\nEither you wrongly customized this view, or some modules bringing those views are not compatible with your current data model")
2014-07-15 14:03:59,204 8094 ERROR test_2 openerp.tools.convert: Parse error in /home/wouter/odoo-dev/custom-modules/order_printing/order_printing.xml:4:
            <field name="name">sale.order.form.inherit</field>
                <xpath expr="//field[@name='product_id']" position="after">
                </xpath>
            </field>
          </record>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/odoo/odoo/openerp/tools/convert.py", line 852, in parse
    self._tags[rec.tag](self.cr, rec, n)
  File "/opt/odoo/odoo/openerp/tools/convert.py", line 819, in _tag_record
    id = self.pool.get('ir.model.data')._update(cr, self.uid, rec_model, self.module, res, rec_id or False, not self.isnoupdate(data_node), noupdate=self.isnoupdate(data_node), mode=self.mode, context=rec_context )

Because you need to give the right path and it's inside two groups

Wouter Tebbens
on 7/16/14, 9:52 AM

Ludo - Neobis

--Ludo - Neobis--
| 2 2 5
Hoogvliet, Netherlands
--Ludo - Neobis--

Developer

Ludo - Neobis
On 7/15/14, 10:29 AM

Would it not be easier to not use the Xpath, but instead rely on OpenERP xml-inheritance position for this? So:

<field name="product_id" position="after">

</field>

Or does this not work in your case?

By the way, are you sure you have the right inheritance structure (you don't have the _name-tag in your object).

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

4 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 7/15/14, 9:20 AM
Seen: 5523 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM