This question has been flagged
14 Replies

I'm trying to extend the sales.order object with a field called Number_Pages. Therefore I have created a module with the following code (in odoo v7):

from openerp.osv import fields, osv

class order_printing(osv.osv):
        _inherit = "sale.order.line"
        _columns = {
          'Number_Pages': fields.integer('Number of Pages', size=4)
         }
        _defaults ={
          'Number_Pages': 1
         }

order_printing()

I'd like to include this field right after the product_id in the sales.view_order_form. So in Debug mode I go to create a sales order and choose the Manage Views. That gives me the sale.view_order_form external ID. Looking into the XML through the webinterface I can see the html structure as follows: view/form/sheet/notebook/page/field (name='order_line')/form/group/group/field(name='product_id')

And as Grover Menacho observes I should not only include the field in the form view but also in the tree view. They're both in the sales.view_order_form.

So following documentation and blogs about this, I've written the following XML file for the inherited Sales Order view:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<openerp>
    <data>
        <record model="ir.ui.view" id="order_printing">
            <field name="name">sale.order.form</field>
            <field name="model">sale.order</field>
            <field name="inherit_id" ref="sale.view_order_form" />
           <field name="arch" type="xml">
                  <xpath  
                    expr="//field[@name='order_line']/form/field[@name='product_id']"
                    position="after">
                  </xpath>
                  <xpath
                    expr="//field[@name='order_line']/tree/field[@name='product_id']"
                    position="after">
                    <field name="Number_Pages"/>
                  </xpath>
            </field>

</record>
     </data>
</openerp>

It gives me the XML validation error when trying to install it. I've tried a few things, changing the xpath, or without the xpath, just referring to the field, but it comes back with the same error all the time. I guess there's something really simple that I'm doing wrong... Anyone? (edited in bold after Hiren Vora's and other's suggestions).

This is the error I'm getting:

AttributeError: View definition error for inherited view '' on model 'sale.order': Element '<xpath expr="//field[@name='order_line']/form/field[@name='product_id']">' not found in parent view 'sale.view_order_form'
2014-07-16 11:15:03,352 7446 ERROR test_2 openerp.tools.convert: Parse error in /home/wouter/odoo-dev/custom-modules/order_printing/order_printing.xml:4:
            <field name="inherit_id" ref="sale.view_order_form"/>
                  <data><xpath expr="//field[@name='order_line']/form/field[@name='product_id']" position="after">
                  </xpath>
                  <xpath expr="//field[@name='order_line']/tree/field[@name='product_id']" position="after">
                  </xpath>
            </data></field>
          </record>

Discard

@Wouter - I think you have wrongly inherited the model, It should be 'sale.order.line' as you want to put the field after the 'product_id' of sale order line object.

Best Answer

Try with this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<openerp>
    <data>
            <field name="name">sale.order.form.inherit</field>
            <field name="inherit_id" ref="sale.view_order_form" />
                <xpath
                    expr="//field[@name='order_line']/form/group/group/field[@name='product_id']"
                    position="after">
                </xpath>

<xpath
                    expr="//field[@name='order_line']/tree/field[@name='product_id']"
                    position="after">
                </xpath>
            </field>
          </record>
     </data>
</openerp>

First xpath adds your field to the form, and the second one to the tree inside the order

Discard
Author

why did you include "group/group in the first expression? I have updated my question with more details above. Thanks

Author Best Answer

Hiren Vora, I've corrected the model to sale.order.line in the python script (in bold now above), but the same error.

Maniganda, ok, I've changed the xpath expression into

<xpath
                    expr="//field[@name='product_id']" position="after">
                </xpath>

The detailed error message is:

'View error', u"Can't find field 'Number_Pages' in the following view parts composing the view of object model 'sale.order':\n * sale.order.form.inherit\n\nEither you wrongly customized this view, or some modules bringing those views are not compatible with your current data model")
2014-07-15 14:03:59,204 8094 ERROR test_2 openerp.tools.convert: Parse error in /home/wouter/odoo-dev/custom-modules/order_printing/order_printing.xml:4:
            <field name="name">sale.order.form.inherit</field>
                <xpath expr="//field[@name='product_id']" position="after">
                </xpath>
            </field>
          </record>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/odoo/odoo/openerp/tools/convert.py", line 852, in parse
    self._tags[rec.tag](self.cr, rec, n)
  File "/opt/odoo/odoo/openerp/tools/convert.py", line 819, in _tag_record
    id = self.pool.get('ir.model.data')._update(cr, self.uid, rec_model, self.module, res, rec_id or False, not self.isnoupdate(data_node), noupdate=self.isnoupdate(data_node), mode=self.mode, context=rec_context )

Discard
Author

Because you need to give the right path and it's inside two groups

Best Answer

Hi Wouter,

Now as you have inherited proper model, try the xpath expression that you have tried earlier,  I have made one change in this - added the field name of order_line
  <xpath  expr="/form/sheet/notebook/page/field[@name='order_line']/form/group/group/field[@name='product_id']" position="after">

because If you look at the error it tries to find the field "Number_pages" under sale.order, which is not there, so do the way you did it earlier.

Discard
Author

ok, but it still produces the error: it can't find the xpath expression in the view...

Best Answer

Try this one

<record model="ir.ui.view" id="view_order_form_inherit2">

<field name="name">sale.order.form.inherit2</field>

<xpath expr="//label[@for='analytic_tag_ids']" position="before">

<label for="page_number"/>

<div>

<field name="page_number" />

</div>

</xpath>

</field>

</record>

Discard
Best Answer

Hi

Try this code :

<xpath expr="//field[@name='order_line']/tree/group/group/field[@name='product_id']" position="after">
                </xpath>
            </field>
          </record>

Discard
Author

Jagdish, I followed your advice, but a similar error: AttributeError: View definition error for inherited view '' on model 'sale.order': Element '<xpath expr="//field[@name='order_line']/tree/group/group/field[@name='product_id']">' not found in parent view 'sale.view_order_form'

Best Answer

@Wouter- The xpath which you have written

<xpath
                    expr="/form/sheet/notebook/page/field/form/group/group/field[@name='product_id']" position="after">
   </xpath>

will try to find the field "product_id" in sale_order_line object, but you have created the field 'Number_Pages' in sale_order object, this will give an invalid xml architecture error.

either you can create the field in sale_order _line and use the xpath which you have already written in your code or you can write a xpath sale_order object directly like

<xpath
                    expr="//field[@name='name']" position="after">
   </xpath>

Discard
Best Answer

Would it not be easier to not use the Xpath, but instead rely on OpenERP xml-inheritance position for this? So:

<field name="product_id" position="after">

</field>

Or does this not work in your case?

By the way, are you sure you have the right inheritance structure (you don't have the _name-tag in your object).

Discard