Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to do "clean migration" to new Database w/ my old inventory, partners and charts?

Landis Arnold
on 2/28/13, 11:00 AM 1,254 views

Is there a quick way to migrate my pertinent data (inventory items and categories, partners, and chart of accounts) so that I can get this to work?

I do not want to just copy the database in its entirety as something is blocking me (perhaps a document module) from properly emailing.

I ask because, I cannot get email function to work from quotations and rfqs (asked in other post here yesterday) and however can get it to work in parallel database with sample data.

My error I have found in many relevant postings (here, the old forum and on launchpad) and it appears that no one sees it as an issue.

For me it makes the system unusable. I can print and then attach pdf's in my current ERP system, but I am trying to get the efficiency of faster communication with OpenERP. (now old erp and openerp function the same with only printing available)

So you set up a new database with the same functionality as the old one. And now you want to migrate the date from the old instance to the new one. If I am right, then I would suggest to fix the problem with the old instance.

Andreas Brueckl
on 3/1/13, 9:26 AM

Not about the date. I have been doing a setup migrating in from my old ERP Partners (Customers and Vendors), Product Categories, Products and Chart of Accounts. I got this process finished and found that I could not "Send a Quote or RFQ" etc from the system. I have been unable to decipher why, thus the idea to migrate what I have to another New Database. I have completed all now but the Chart of accounts and, yes, finally, I can again (as I could initially) send an Quote/Order/RFQ/PO which is really central to what I need to do. The process is not easy but doable with a "fresh" install.

Landis Arnold
on 3/1/13, 12:03 PM
Landis Arnold
On 3/3/13, 1:19 AM

Export each Page of Vendors Customers Inventory Product Categories Chart of Accounts (not really needed if nothing custom added)

Then Create New Database and first Assign Full set of Modules Required (compare to original even if it is disfunctioning)

then in New, also Define Chart of Accounts then Duplicate Customer Tags then Import Customers (Tags and Category ID's.. use only one: Tags are better but perhaps Category ID's will work) It is likely you will have too many fields in your export set and you will need to remove unused ones. Spend some time on getting this right then Import Vendors then Import Product Categories then Import Products

(Before you do these imports you can clean your data somewhat. I was able to get Tags and Product Categories (base on the export ids) to work which really improved on my previous data set.

Finally, test your system. Make sure the bug you had/may have had is not again showing. Mine was not evident (Yes!) I could email a Quotation.

If you have the ability to do "in situ" Snapshots along the way I highly recommend it. In the process above I had at least 2 Snapshot Restores when one course of import or another course of attempted short cut failed.

In the end the recommendations given about building a New Database were the best ones. It is possible to get the data out and over when the old Database is not functioning right (at least it was for me).

Nothing quick, but it gives good foundation. Each time working with export and import sets more of the process and codes makes sense. I also recommend having a browse of the data as you go with Built in Postgres or a other Data Browser like Navicat.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Asked: 2/28/13, 11:00 AM
Seen: 1254 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM