Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to do a physical inventory in large warehouse?

By
AJ Schrafel Paper Corp
on 10/24/13, 6:28 PM 2,875 views

If you have a large warehouse with multiple locations for products, how can you do a physical inventory?

The product definition allows you to define a physical location in which the product is stored, but what if the products are stored in multiple areas of a warehouse?

Kevin McMenamin

--Kevin McMenamin--
| 5 2 6
Auckland, New Zealand
--Kevin McMenamin--
Kevin McMenamin
On 10/25/13, 12:02 AM

Firstly, the standard OpenERP stocktake logic is a bit simple and has some limitations if you have serialised products.

Putting that to one side, you are faced with two choices.

1. Standard OpenERP does not have the concept of stock by bin location which is normal for large warehouses. If you want this then there is a v6 community module which is pretty good. My client that I was investigating this for decided stock by bin was too complex, so I haven't looked at in the last couple of years. If you install this module you will need to test the standare stock-take logic, and you will probably have to fix.

2. You go standard - this means that despite products being in multiple locations in your warehouse you treat them as one location (say stock) for on hand and count purposes. A quick and dirty half-way house would be to record the actual locations against the product (so product_id, location_id, bin_name) and print this onto your documentation.

Drew
On 10/24/13, 6:57 PM

Firstly, I'm new to OpenERP, and even ERP. I imagine if you have the same product stored in multiple locations within the warehouse, then there might be something wrong with the warehouse procedure itself. Otherwise, then I imagine you could create a module "warehouse locations", then remove the fields for product location, then add field to link to multiple locations (many2one, one2many) to the product.

If the objects are extremely large, like pallets of drywall or lumber, there is no way you can store it in a small location. And adding a o2m m2o relationship does not let you specify the number of products in a location.

AJ Schrafel Paper Corp
on 10/24/13, 7:06 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 10/24/13, 6:28 PM
Seen: 2875 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM