Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to define order units for products?

By
Robert Klüsener
on 5/23/13, 3:13 PM 1,673 views

How can I define order units for products that are used as input material for production? For example I produce bags from a textile which is measured in meters and always want to know how much meters of textile I have in stock. To produce one bag, I need 1.2 m of textile. So if I produce 100 bags, I need 120 meters of textile. A supplier delivers textile on a roll with 100 meters per roll. Therefore I can either order 100 meters (1 roll), 200 meters (2 rolls), 300 meters (3 rolls),... To produce 100 bags I need to order two rolls (200 m) of textile.

do you mean you by a roll of 100 mt then sell rolls of 200 mt?

Davide Corio
on 5/23/13, 3:29 PM

No, I mean that I can either buy 1 roll = 100m or 2 rolls = 200m, or 3 rolls = 300 m,... I admit that my wording was a bit confusing. I re-typed the question to make it clearer.

Feuerwear GmbH & Co. KG, Robert Klüsener
on 5/23/13, 3:39 PM

In this case i suppose you buy "units", the you can buy 1...2...3...N rolls. so the lenght (in this phase) is not that important because you're about to place 3 rolls in your warehouse.

Davide Corio
on 5/23/13, 3:43 PM

Thank you for the quick answer. Unfortunately this approach does not work for me as I need the textile as raw material for production and keep track of how many meters are left. In this example I need 1.2 m of textile to manufacture one bag. So if I manufacture 10 bags I consume 12 m and have left 88 m on the roll.

on 5/23/13, 3:47 PM

sorry...i did hit the return button too early

Davide Corio
on 5/23/13, 3:51 PM

I know what you are trying to do, and i have not found a good solution in openERP yet. You would have to define a unique identity for every roll, and track every roll individually. In openERP right now that is not possible without custom programming. Products get lumped together, unless you create a new product for every item of inventory.

AJ Schrafel Paper Corp
on 5/23/13, 4:10 PM

what's wrong with tracking each roll individually? IMO, assigning each roll to a lot then specify that lot when using the textile can work fine

Davide Corio
on 5/23/13, 5:18 PM

Your suggestion is fine if the parents and children are finite, but if you want to store more information than "child consumed X feet of parent" it gets complicated very quickly. Like if you are buying 30,40,50 mm wide rolls and producing 30,40,50 mm wide children, simple 6 products, but if you want to produce children and parents that vary 1 mm you have to create and store a product for every width variation - 40 products.

AJ Schrafel Paper Corp
on 5/24/13, 4:49 PM

Davide Corio

--Davide Corio--
| 4 3 7
Bricherasio, Italy
--Davide Corio--

Odoo Evangelist and Consultant

Davide Corio
On 5/23/13, 3:50 PM

In this case i suppose you buy "units", the you can buy 1...2...3...N rolls. so the length (in this phase) is not that important because you're about to place 3 rolls in your warehouse. Indeed, you'll probably want to use just 1 meter then you'll need to convert rolls into meters. By assigning a lot number to a roll you'll be able to track the usage.

When you need to get 1 mt from a specific roll you can use 1/100 of roll for instance.

Otherwise you can use different UoM and specify the conversion coefficient. This way you'll be able to buy rolls and put meters into your warehouse.

In order to be able to specify this infos, you have to grant you user the "Manage Secondary Unit of Measure" permission.

Thank you! I would prefer working with different Units of measure. so I created a new unit of measure "roll 100" m which has the type lenght and a ratio of 100 towards the reference UoM which is m and it works fine for m. A big plus would be if I could change the unit of measure for a product per supplier as maybe I got the same material from one supplier 100 m on a roll and from another supplier 50 m on a roll. But as far as I can see, it automatically ads the product UoM also to the supplier.

on 5/24/13, 5:23 AM
wjn
On 5/23/13, 4:10 PM

I have something similar solved with manufacturing. We have drums of xxx kg on stock, sometimes we sell in yy kg or zz litres packings. I created a product of 1 kg, if necessary it takes one xxx kg drum from stock to produce xxx times 1 kg. Done so with re-ordering rules etc. yy times this 1 kg is then used to create the product we sell. In the case of litres, it is converted into this unit.

So we have on stock: aa drums (of xxx kg), can be your rolls of 100m bb x 1 kg of this product, which is used to create the endproducts. Can be a roll from which some cloth is taken. If because of the (pending) manufacturing orders this (bb) will be <0, the re-ordering rules will take again one drum from stock, etc.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 5/23/13, 3:13 PM
Seen: 1673 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM