Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to create a menu, sub menus and actions?

João Bernardo
on 6/18/14, 5:33 AM 4,105 views

I have been looking for a way to create a menu item, and some sub-menus relative to that menu.

I want this to be the menu the users see when they log in, instead of the "Messaging" Menu.

On the left bar, i want a few links to some external websites. And the body of that menu would just be a simple text.

How do i do this? Do i need to create a new module? Or is it much simpler?

Thanks in advance :)

I tried Dhinesh Solution. but after i created the menu, nothing appeared on the top menu...

João Bernardo
on 6/18/14, 10:00 AM

New module create and check the already xml file.You can get guide in xml file.

Serpent Consulting Services Pvt. Ltd.
on 6/20/14, 3:25 AM

Dhinesh - Technical Consultant, Sodexis Inc

--Dhinesh - Technical Consultant, Sodexis Inc--
| 5 4 9
Pondicherry, India
--Dhinesh - Technical Consultant, Sodexis Inc--

Passionate coder in Python/OpenERP. Knows Django/Flask MVC frameworks. Did code in Java, PHP.

Contact me at: dvdhinesh.mail@gmail.com

Dhinesh - Technical Consultant, Sodexis Inc
On 6/18/14, 6:39 AM

If you want to create a menu and sub menu means, you can do it by 2 ways. Either by code or by web client.

For web client go to settings -> User interface -> Menu items and then create your menu. If it is a base menu means leave blank for parent menu and change the sequence for order. If it is submenu means choose parent menu.

Note: If you create menu by this way means, you cannot reuse it in another db's as well as when you upgrade your base, there is a chance to lose your changes.

By code means, learn inheriting a view and creating custom module. Link1 Link2

Jagdish Panchal

--Jagdish Panchal--
| 5 3 6
Gandhinagar, India
--Jagdish Panchal--

OpenERP Developer

Jagdish Panchal
On 6/18/14, 5:58 AM

Refer this link may help you 

João Bernardo
On 6/18/14, 6:08 AM

In that last link, where do i need to create that code? in the base.xml file?

No, always make a new (small) module and use the menuitems by inheriting. For example:

Ludo - Neobis
on 6/18/14, 6:32 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Asked: 6/18/14, 5:33 AM
Seen: 4105 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM