Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to configure email for sending business documents (e. g. quotation, invoice, RFQ) can be sent by email?

By
Thomas Walter
on 6/3/14, 7:16 PM 2,587 views

Dear all,

we are using OpenERP V7. The email functionality out of quotations invoices etc. is a great feature. However it seems to be quite unreliable which is a significant business risk. At the moment it does not work.

We have assigned an email address to the company which is working (e. g. to send password resets).

However when we want to send business documents like a quotation with the "send by email" function the system confirms the sending.

But the email is not arriving at the customer nor at any other email address which is added in the send email dialog!

I tried it with my user accont and also the admin account without success.

What needs to be set to enable sending of business documents? Which email account is used by openerp per default for sending business documents (users or company email account)?

regards,

Thomas

Paul Catinean
On 6/4/14, 3:48 PM

Hello Thomas,

The emailing system is quite confusing for most people since it's not perfectly intuitive (strictly personal opinion)

When you send a business document by  "Send Email" button you are not infact sending to the address you have on top but more to the followers of the document.I remember having this issue in the past where I would add a new address on top and I would get emails in 3 inboxes (while debugging I had access to all those inboxes).I soon found out that the system pretty much ignores what you put in the sender and just sends to the followers of their document, of course, it also takes a look on their options (opt-out, receive messages etc)

In order to have your system working you should:

1.Have a outgoing mail server that's configured working & tested

2.Have in the document that you are trying to send the the right followers (Customer is automatcally added when saving the quotation)

3.Check the options on the followers and make sure they are not opting out of the email messages which blocks your actual docs

4.Keep and eye on the log and check the email status in Settings->Technical->Email->Emails

It has been quite a while since I've worked with the emailing system so I hope I have not provided any imcomplete/false information

Hope this helps

Thomas Walter
On 6/4/14, 7:49 PM

Hello Paul, Dear all,

@Paul thank you very much for providing the answer.

I checked everyhting and can confirm to fulfill the suggestion of # 1.-3.

On your point 4. i am not sure. I can see that the mail has been dispatched as system message (only?) to all recipients (also the email addresses).

But the message does not reach the email addresses maintained in the dialog. Should in the log be anything else then system message?

If yes, my question is still how can i trigger that the "send by email" feature is sending emails instead of system messages only?

regards,

Thomas

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 6/3/14, 7:16 PM
Seen: 2587 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM