Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How to change the technical name of a module ?

By
Nicolas Clavier
on 9/27/13, 12:21 PM 2,241 views

Hey,

I am willing to change the technical name of a module on an existing database. The operation happens in 2 steps : create a duplicate of my module with the new_named. Uninstall the old_named module.

Now, uninstalling the old_named module removes all associated fields. The new module recreates them, but of course, the tables are empty.

How could I proceed to change the technical name (module's folder name) without loosing data in the database ? (there is no change involved in the code itself) tks

Kalpana Hemnani
On 9/10/15, 5:19 AM

Hello Nicolas,

You can follow this link.

Hope this helps

Thanks and Regards,

Kalpana Hemnani

Great post indeed, this will serve many ppl I think. Thanks you

Nicolas Clavier
on 9/10/15, 5:46 AM

You could post this tutorial right here too.

Nicolas Clavier
on 9/10/15, 5:46 AM
eLBati
On 9/30/13, 6:37 AM

You can remove the old module from the file system, without uninstalling it.

Restart openerp-server

Then, you can add and install the renamed module: existing data will not be lost.

Thanks for the tip, this solution works. Though, it doesn't allow me to fully remove a module. Nevertheless, the fields are now declred in a new module, and data was kept intact.

Nicolas Clavier
on 9/30/13, 10:04 AM

I didn't try, but maybe you can simply remove the old module from the ir_module_module table

eLBati
on 9/30/13, 10:59 AM

indeed, but there are many dependents on ir_module_module (ir_model_constraint, relation, dependency, etc) ... that I wouldn't interact with by hand.

Nicolas Clavier
on 9/30/13, 11:20 AM

Or manually set it as uninstalled?

eLBati
on 9/30/13, 11:52 AM

I'll try :

Nicolas Clavier
on 9/30/13, 12:08 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 9/27/13, 12:21 PM
Seen: 2241 times
Last updated: 9/10/15, 5:45 AM