This question has been flagged
2 Replies

If a company starts with OpenERP there is a big chance there will be non paid invoices from the year before. How to book those invoices in the new started OpenERP administration?

I assume there are more possibilities with there pro's and con's.

Discard
Author Best Answer

The first method I found out is the following solution. Book the invoices in the previous year.

This is easy to say but needs preparation via accounting/configuration/financial accounting/New company financial setup and then:

1. Define periods fiscal year(s) with the previous fiscal year(s).
  2. Define periods within this fiscal year(s).

Make sure your invoice numbering system doesn't become a mess. You can manipulate your invoice numbering via settings/configuration/Sequences & Identifiers/Sequences for both salesantry and purchase entry.

When you book your invoices take care you use the right date and period. After this take care you set back your invoicenumbering to the right situation for bookings in your current year.

Discard
Best Answer

I assume the said invoices have been booked in the accountig books for the previous year (whether OpenErp or any other accounting system) The accountig balances of the previous year will be imported into your OpenErp through the Opening balances journal. The debts from/to third parties will the be in the new system.

In case the said invoices have never been booked, then you may consider to record them in the first open period; you will need to declare an invoice date belonging to the period. This could be acceptable -as an exception - if the number of invoices or the global amount is of limited importance compared to the whole activities.

Discard
Author

Thankx! Your assumption of booking in another system is ok. I think when booked through the opening balance journal the connection with the invoice is lost and it cannot be reconciled with the invoice. If I am wrong please give an example.Your last subparagraph is in my case not applicable.

Youe are right! the automatic connections with the individual invoices are lost. The reconcilialtion with bank statements is certainly - in my opinion - the way to make reference with the invoices. In terms of efficiency, it depends on how many third parties and invoices are concerned.