This question has been flagged
10 Replies

I know its already answered that chat (im) is only available from v8, but I have trunk running and the im and im_livechat modules installed, I can create channels, and insert the code in my website, but the chat icon keeps saying "Instant Messaging is not activated on this server."

How do you activate IM?

Thanks.

Discard
Best Answer

I think you need to pass command line argument when you start OpenERP server from terminal. I don't remember what is the option you have to pass.

But I am sure chat will be activated when you pass the command line argument (option).

Try this but I am not sure this option is right or not. So just try it.

python openerp-server --addons ../addons/,../web/addons --gevent

Hope this will work.

Discard
Author

Adding this parameter, the server listens on port 8072, but not on 8069, so it doesnt work

Best Answer

First you need to install gevent

apt-get install python-gevent

Then install gevent_psycopg2 I installed this one

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/gevent-psycopg2

Then you need to start the server with --gevent

openerp-server --gevent

the server will be launched in port :8072

server helps mentions this about gevent option "Activate the GEvent mode, this also desactivate the cron."

=========================================

UPDATE:

now you have to launch the server with openerp-gevent not openerp-server --gevent

Discard

I start my server with sudo /etc/init.d/openerp-server start or sudo service openerp-server start. So would I need to replace openerp-server with openerp-gevent in this two commands? How would you incorporate the gevent option into that start script (that most of the times will be used) And what module exactly do you install? this one https://www.odoo.com/apps/trunk/im ?

here is a version that is meant to be for 7.0. https://bitbucket.org/anybox/web_im Will report whether that work once I have tested it.

Best Answer

I have tested the latest #odoo v8.0 build (Ubuntu 14.04 with ODOO v8 install script). IM Livechat works out-of-the-box (on port 8069) without separate openerp-gevent service or any modification.

Discard
Best Answer

Hi

The --gevent option, run your OpenERP server with gevent. Gevent is based on eventlet. Evenlet use the coroutine not thread. So you open only one thread for all the connection, and the block loop, block all the coroutine, it 's dangerous.

If really you want use the gevent server, you must launch 2 OpenERP server: * the first with the OpenERP server on the 8069 port * A second with gevent server, on the 8072 port

Use a Apache or Nginx to dispatch between OpenERP server or gevent server (path /longpolling)

Discard

Hi Jean! As we would like to use the chat, We have run openerp trunk with gevent option but we find out that cron stops working. Any suggestion? Following your message we should lunch 2 oerp servers and then 'dispach' them whit gevent. Can you give some clues on how to achive this? Also, As you said "If really you want use the gevent server,...". Any problem with running gevent?

Jean-Sebastien, could you elaborate on what you mean? In what way is it dangerous to run openerp-gevent?

Best Answer

Does this apply to V8/Trunk right now?

Discard
Best Answer

Pre Request for IM module: 1. # sudo apt-get install python-gevent 2.# apt-get install psycogreen 3.# pip install psycogreen-1.0.tar.gz 2. # easy_install gevent 3. # easy_install greenlet 4. # apt-get install python-all-dev 7.# apt-get install libevent-dev 5. # easy_install gevent-psycopg2-0.0.3.tar.gz 6. setup IM module 7. And run your server by openerp-gevent # ./server/openerp-gevent --addons addons/,web/addons & 8. use port 8072

Discard

@Ahmed Hassan, I have updated above provided commands in proper format as follows:

Pre Request for IM module:

``` 1. # sudo apt-get install python-gevent

2.# apt-get install psycogreen

3.# pip install psycogreen-1.0.tar.gz

1. easy_install gevent

2. easy_install greenlet

3. apt-get install python-all-dev

7.# apt-get install libevent-dev

1. easy_install gevent-psycopg2-0.0.3.tar.gz

2. setup IM module

3. And run your server by openerp-gevent

./server/openerp-gevent --addons addons/,web/addons &

1. use port 8072 ```
Best Answer

By the way, on OpenERP trunk, since October 5 2013, there is a script "openerp-gevent" next to the usual script "openerp-server". When you start "./openerp-gevent", it will run openerp on port 8072 in gevent/longpolling mode.

Discard
Best Answer

I am install python-gevent and install gevent_psycopg2

my openerp is version:

./openerp-server --version OpenERP Server 8.0dev-20140114-091614

but not start with --gevent parameter ?

show: ./openerp-server --gevent Usage: openerp-server [options]

openerp-server: error: no such option: --gevent

Discard

it has changed since I answered the question, now you have to launch the openerp not with openerp-server, but with a file called openerp-gevent, you need to launch the server with that, I will update my answer to add this, BTW: your post is not an answer, it is better suited to put it on a comment to the question or to a relevant answer.

What is the latest with this? I've tried the nightlies from 20140122 and 20140124 and there is no file called openerp-gevent.

/usr/bin/openerp-gevent is installed if I patch setup.py like this: "scripts = ['openerp-server', 'openerp-gevent'],"

Best Answer

I was following all the instructions here and in other threads and nothing, but then I discovered that I need to:

1 - Activate the public user

2 - Set its password as 'public'

Then chat started working in the website and external websites :D

Discard
Best Answer

go to openerp/tools/config.py

then set default value of gevent=True

then restart your server

see complete tutorial on febru dot soluvas dot com

Discard

Hi, I searched for the keyword gevent in config.py file, but i find no sign of it. can you please help with it.

Ya, even I dont find any gevent = True / False;