This question has been flagged
1 Reply

My goal is to accept credit cards directly with the Odoo v8 POS. 

We are currently developing a Stripe integration, however I have a question:

How can we get a "Credit Card Number" "Expiration Date" etc. entry form to appear? 
    - This form would be tied to a 3rd party payment processor like Stripe
    - This form could be filled out using a credit card swiper (USB) 

This question is probably very basic, but I can not figure out how to actually charge a credit card from within the POS. Thank you for your guidance. 

Discard
Best Answer

This feature is not available out-of-the-box at the time of v8.0. The workaround is, for most users, extremely reasonable though. It's just a matter of copying the total displayed on the POS in the card reader that is separate and not connected to Odoo.

You have probably seen this at small retailers like convenience stores: the cashier asks you how you want to pay and if you say "by credit card", he inserts your card in the card reader, then type in the total he sees on his POS, and asks you to enter your pin or sign the receipt.

Creating a connector to save the 5 seconds that it takes to copy the total is only worth if you are a busy retailer and that every second counts (case of a busy coffee shop at peak times or of a large retail store like Safeway).

Discard
Author

I went ahead and marked this as the answer as this did clarify what I was asking. That said, I would disagree that using a separate system and manually entering the numbers is smart. Even if your volume is very low, there is still a likelihood for human error when copying numbers manually. We're about 20% complete with the Stripe integration that will hopefully eliminate this manual process for others.

I think we both agree that it's not ideal and that it leaves room for human error. But most SMBs would not be willing to pay several thousands of dollars for a connector to remove this risk and save a few seconds per transaction.

Author

I hope it doesn't cost that much to develop this! ;) It seems fairly straightforward thus far. Could we be missing a big, unforeseen hurdle?