This question has been flagged
1 Reply

hi. it strikes me that an upgrade from v6 to v7 brings substantial dificulties for many. As figuring out whether using OpenERP for our company or not I wonder how often you would have to go trhough such a process with all the attention needed.

is there a standard release cycle?

if 'yes' how often is a new version released?

how long is an 'outdated' version still supported

how long does it 'normally' take to have a new 'stable' version (including all modules being ported)

I guess that sums up to: how long do you have 'peace of mind' once your OpenERP system is running? Or in other words: can one expect periods where you just can use your OpenERP without troubles related to things being in process of change.

It seems to me that the differences between 6 & 7 are quite substantial so maybe the problems with upgrading and porting are more severe then with 'just a usual' new version?

thanks for your input on this

Discard
Best Answer

the gap between 6 and 7 was about 2 years, with 6 being supported for some time (3 years?) in to the future. Our experience has been that all our local modules have required re-work to upgrade to v7. For your data, if you have an OpenERP Enterprise contract the data upgrade is included.

Discard

Up to 3 LTS versions are covered with OpenERP Enterprise (depending on level). It corresponds to approximately 4.5 years if we look at 5.0, 6.0, and 7.0.

Author

sorry, not clear. Maybe you mean if somebody has signed an Enterprise contract about three Versions (start counting from now 7.0, 8.0, 9.0) will be covered by this? But isn't an Enterprise contract based on monthly fees, so you should be covered with support as long as you keep a contract ...? LTS. = x.0?

Gunnar, yes I meant from the date of the contract signature. I only talked about the past to give an approximate timeframe, but the real measure is not time, it's the number of versions supported. An OE contract can by monthly or annual. You are covered as long as you have a valid contract and as long as the version you are running is supported. Finally, LTS = x.0. In that regard, the plan is to only have LTS versions in the future and intermediary versions on SaaS only to avoid confusion in what OE supports and what it doesn't.

Author

sorry Fabrice, I still don't get it. What would an Enterprise contract have to do with a Version you are using. You have a monthly subscription and you get support (I assume that includes upgrades to new Versions?). Or maybe that is the point: would a version upgrade not be covered by such a contract and upgrades have to be paid extra? Otherwise I wouldn't comprehend how these things are even related to each other.

Gunnar, maybe your confusion comes from the fact that OE on SaaS and OE on premise is not the same. On SaaS, you don't have a choice to upgrade or not: you have to upgrade. So in that case, talking about versions covered doesn't make sense because you are always on the latest one. However, for on premise OE, you have that choice. And if you decide to stay on a version despite available upgrades and that you pay a monthly (or annual) OE contract, you will not be covered after 3 LTS. You will have to upgrade at that time.

Author

ok, things are clearing up, thanks. My main interest is not the SaaS cloud solution but the hardware based one hosted on site. What I see from this is that it seems to be possible to stick to a Version for the time of two following releases, correct? Let's say you start with 7.0 you can actually stick to it until 10.0 being released if you wish. With 10.0 you would be forced to upgrade because 7.0 wouldn't be supported anymore. Taking into account the estimated life cycle of one LTS (x.0) being ca. 2 years this would give you around 4-6 years with one version.

Gunnar, that's correct.