This question has been flagged
1 Reply

hi,

can anyone explain the relation between the module "Address Book" (technical 'contacts') and Customers, Suppliers or the home address of an employee?

Could it be a first step to set up an Address book and then later one once proceeding to Sales/CRM- or Purchase-management for example use the existing address book entries? Or in other words: do these Modules use the same database entries for and Address or a phone number or a name? What holds me back from jumping into Sales or Purchase management right away is the necessity of accounts payable/receivable for each entry (which I don't want to touch yet and I fear in case I put something stupid there [like a dummy a/r or dummy a/p] it will hit me on the head later in time).

Discard
Best Answer

There is no relationship, they are all the same business object - res.partner.

You can't complete a sale or purchase without A/R and A/P. They can always be changed later, many companies use a single A/R account for every partner and a single A/P account for every partner.

Discard
Author

hi Ray, ... Not 100% clear what your suggestion would be. if they are the same object it should be no problem to start with just Address Book (contacts)?. OR would you recommend to jump into CRM right away because you can just use 'dummy-A/R' & 'dummy-A/R' for the time being? OR maybe it is up to one preference BECAUSE both refer to the exact same object one can just do whatever one likes?

Author

I just realize maybe I wasn't clear enough myself. I don't want to use Sales and Purchases in OE right away. I just want to start putting all contacts,, addresses, phone # of our customers and suppliers anyone into the ERP system instead of having an Excel Sheet here, a Thunderbird Address Book there, etc.

It is fine to start importing data into the Address Book. When you are ready to use these records as Customers and Suppliers, they will be available.