This question has been flagged
1 Reply

Does anyone using it specially if you have a million record or you are using

workaround such as third party applications to handle large amount of data from the browser?

The javascripts seems stop working when using it. Can you share to us.

Discard
Best Answer

When dealing with large scale document models, and milions of records, i do not see a pourpose of showing ALL of them on single tree view...
( just imagine someone wants to punish you and orders you to :
SCROLL DOWN ALL ONE WILLION OF RECORDS how happy would you be ) :) 

For that reason the views are limited to reasonable number of records, and leaving to user the choice of how many of them will be shown on single tree view...

As for the "javascript stops working" part.. it is more likely that it isn't realy stopped, instead it is waiting for a data package (JSON) from server, and the more records on one sheet you want to show the bigger will that package be, and more will take more time to prepare (server side) and transfer from server to client ( over internet/intranet)....

I have tested that behavior on database witk 120k products... 
Showing default number ( 80 ) per page gives fast page load, 
but when i decided to show 2k on single page, it took something under a minute over adsl connection (4 mbit download) 

After that I wanted to test view all 120k prodcuts on single page.. it took almost 4 minutes for page to load all data and render them into (html) view...

At the time I was just curious how fast will it work, but once i had the full view rendered, it took me a while just to scrol down that list....
Not to mention that it realy isnt productive to have so many data on single page.. (takes a lot of time to scrol up and down) ....

IMHO, Much better approach to hande large scale data is wise using and combinig filters and grouping in views to shorten the selection range of data and then show all (filtered/selected) data .

Hope this will be of help.. 

Discard

Hi Bole, Can you tell me how the data are loaded when you want to see the purchase orders (for example) ? I mean does the orm send all the data in "one shot" or it plays a kind of limit / offset each time you click on the 80 next records ? Thank you.

The record limit chosen ( or set by default) is in fact the number of records server sends to client in one shot. That is how it is possible to work realy fast even with milions of records in database.. The server only send to clinet a limited number of records... Even when you do the search the limit is set by default in orm.( and yes it can be overriden with custom value : limit=xx )... When you click next, server just sends next package of desired lenght to client...

Bole, thank you for that answer. The limited number of records send by the orm can be modified ? and how ? When you say "custom value : limit = XX", do you mean the limit property in the XML files ? What I try to do, is to optimize the time taken to load the views tree. Thanks.

limit = xx is used in xml files to define default number of records shown in specific tree view. In most cases it is omitted because it has a default value (80) .. also there is a selector (on top of every tree view if the view has more than 80 records) on vich you can choose how many you want to show in single view... But, keep in mind that if you have lots of functional fields on one tree view it takes a bit of time to calculate their values (not for alll the records in db, but only for the ones that are to be shown) so if that is the case.. try optimizing your functional fields for faster calculations ... hope it helps

Ok that's what I've noticed, I just want to be sure. We don't have calculated fields, cause I know that they are greedy. Thank you for your answer.