This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I know that I can run images from Odoo's official Docker repository, but how can I develop using those images? How does one stay up to date with the latest release of their major version (using Docker) while preserving custom changes they have made to the codebase. Is this even possible, or do I need to develop using git and then build the images myself.

Discard
Best Answer

Upgrades to a major version add new modules and delete other modules,  usually this mean transforming the data in your database, this is done with scripts, both odoo and the community develop such scripts, after you database has been upgraded, and since with docker the database lives in a different container, you would just start a container with the newer version of odoo and attach the database container to it. Your modules should be mounted to the odoo container and if you followed odoo conventions, your module shouldn't be broken, or it just may need minor modifications to cope with the changes in the newer version.

Upgrading to a minor version should be as easy as using another version of the odoo container, you stop the old one and start the new one and as usual, attach the db container to the odoo container.

Discard
Author

Thanks for your response.

Do I still need to download Odoo from source for the odoo-bin CLI and for testing? I now understand that I can mount my addons when launching a new Docker instance, but how do I go about developing those addons?

I have tried installing Odoo from source (using github), but I had a hard time setting up the environment correctly, which is why I was hoping to develop using Docker.