This question has been flagged
2 Replies

The scenario here is that a customer asks for a product that does not yet exist. We have a chat with them and agree that we could make it or source it if they order one, and we come up with a price. In the quotation I can add a line with a description, quantity and price, but without selecting a product from the list. I can confirm this and make a sales order. Now I want to made this product, so I will create the product record and set up all the product data, and add it to inventory when it is made. That is all fine, but now how do I deliver this product or associate it with the original sales order so that the delivery order and invoice can work?

Discard

I would suggest: At quotation time: create a product with a Name of your choice, without any other data At confirmation of sale: use the same product, with or without changing its original name and add all required data. Does it make sense?

Author

that means the sales staff need to have the rights to create products (they just feel they should be able to sell something that doesn't exist) I guess in an ideal world the warehouse manager or someone should create the product before the sales team sell it, but there is nothing at the moment to make the product field required on a line item, even when it has a price.

Author

That covers products that are not in stock and products that need manufacturing, but not placing an order for something that hasn't yet been created as a product.

Best Answer

You can make a small change to the product to make it not mandatory except in confirmation of sale order

then you can build the quotation without selecting any product , just write down the description

then in confirmation you have to select the product , but take care to stop the onchange function to not make your dewscription empty

Discard
Best Answer

Sales orders with products that don't exist yet, also known as "pre-orders" or "future orders, " are a common practice in various industries, particularly for new products or products with a limited supply. These orders allow businesses to gauge customer interest, secure financial commitments, and plan production accordingly.

Here's how sales orders with non-existent products typically work:

1. Customer Interest and Order Placement: Customers place orders for products that are not yet available, often based on product announcements, marketing campaigns, or early prototypes. These orders may require a deposit or full payment upfront.
  2. Order Processing and Inventory Management: The business processes the pre-orders, recording them in their order management system and allocating them to future inventory. This helps track demand and plan production accordingly.
  3. Product Development and Manufacturing: The business proceeds with product development and manufacturing, ensuring they meet the specifications and timelines promised to customers.
  4. Order Fulfillment and Customer Communication: Once the products are ready, the business fulfills the pre-orders, shipping the products to customers and ensuring they receive the items they ordered. Regular communication with customers is crucial to manage expectations and provide updates.
  5. Handling Refunds and Cancellations: In case of unforeseen delays, production issues, or customer cancellations, the business has a clear process for handling refunds and communicating any changes to customers.
  6. Evaluating Pre-Order Success: After fulfilling pre-orders, the business evaluates the success of the pre-order campaign, analyzing customer satisfaction, demand levels,

Discard