Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How do Leads go to Contacts?

By
Jeff Schaubb
on 9/11/14, 9:16 AM 790 views

I have a Company, "TestCo, Inc." with one Contact "Jeff2 Schaubb2":  
(I've prepared a screen shot, but don't have the "Karma" to post it.)

I now add another Lead as follows:  
Company Name: <left_blank>   
Customer: <linked to: TestCo, Inc.>  
Contact Name: "Jeff8 Schaubb8"  
Email: "Jeff8 Schaubb8"  
Internal Notes: "Testing 888"

I then "Save" this Lead.  
I then "Convert to Oppurtunity".  
Conversion Action: Convert to oppurtunity  
Related Customer: Create a new customer

The result is that my Contact Name ("Jeff8 Schaubb9") is lost!  I was expecting him to be created as a new Contact, linked to "TestCo, Inc.".

I've googled the heck out of (odoo OR openerp) lead AND (partner OR contact) in trying to understand how basic information goes from Leads to permanent Contacts (e.g. Customers which are Companies or not Companies).  But I don't seem to understand the basics, and I cant' find a tutorial that explains it.  Is this documented somewhere or can it simply be explained?

Jeff Schaubb
On 9/11/14, 4:57 PM

I believe I've figured this out.  I don't have enough Karma to delete this post, so for others later who might have the same question, know these hints:

• Odoo seems to have a 'varriant' record type.  A "CUSTOMER"  can be a "Contact" (with a person icon), or a "Partner" (represented by aan office-buildings icon).
  • There is no easy way to get data from a "Lead" to a "Contact".  Although a custom field can be added to a Lead or a Customer, to get the data from one to the other requires custom Python code involving inheritance.
  • Exporting all fields of "Contacts" using "Export Type", "Import-Compatible Export" does not contain the contacts' company (Partner) name anywhere.  However, exporting all fields of "Contacts" using "Export Type", "Export all data" does contain the contacts' company (Partner) name in the field, "Complete Address"; company name is also combined with contact name in one of the two fields titled, "Name".
  • The "Fax" field wonderfully moves data from Lead to CUSTOMER, maintaining data integrity of distinct fax numbers between Contacts (employees) and Partners (companies).  Also, it exports in the "Import-Compatible Export" format.  Fax's being irrelivant enough to relegate to notes, the fax field may be used to contain other more important information, such as "Firstname", or "Nickname" - crucial information for marketing to leads (otherwise you end up with stilted salutaions such as "Hi Jeff Schaubb!", or "Dear Mr. Jeff Schaubb".

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 9/11/14, 9:16 AM
Seen: 790 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM