This question has been flagged
4 Replies

I am evaluating Odoo on Amazon AWS. I am using the AWS Directory Service (the "Simple AD" option).

(1) Does anyone know how I retrieve my LDAP settings? (i.e. Filter, Base, etc.)

(2) Do I need to fill in the binddn and password fields?

Thank you

Discard

Isn't that just a Simple AD problem, which primarly has nothing to do with Odoo? Why don't you just install Odoo without LDAP to evaluate it? Why do you want to use LDAP at all? You can use Odoo with LDAP, when properly set up.

Author

(1) Yes, it is an AD problem, but it seems the Filter, Base, etc. that Odoo is looking for is quite detailed, and most applications I've dealt with haven't needed this level of detail. So I thought maybe someone in the Odoo community will have experience with finding this information on AWS. (2) Why use LDAP: the usual reasons: to make user and password management easier. (3) I intend that if we move forward with Odoo we will use LDAP, so I need to make sure it works. So many times in my evaluation I have read statements such as "You can do ABC in Odoo", but when you dig into it, you find out there's actually some pretty huge caveats that weren't mentioned.

Best Answer

Hi Ken,

I've followed your example and get "An LDAP exception occurred: {'desc': "Can't contact LDAP server"}".

I can ping the server and have double checked Admin user and password.

Any suggestions?

Discard
Author

Hi Michael -- have you ensured that an Inbound connection for the LDAP protocol and port to your Odoo server exists? (TCP 389)

Thanks for the response Ken. It was a stray firewall rule blocking the LDAP port.

Author Best Answer

For anyone else that comes across this:

• LDAP Server Address: use one of the DNS Addresses listed in your AWS Directory Service settings

• LDAP Server Port: 389

• LDAP binddn: CN=Administrator,CN=users,DC=xxxx,DC=yyyy,DC=zzzz -- this is built from the Directory Name xxxx.yyyy.zzzz (example corp.example.com) Note: when you created your Directory Service, you created an Administrator account and assigned it a Password.

• LDAP password: the Password from your Administrator account.

• LDAP base: CN=users,DC=xxxx,DC=yyyy,DC=zzzz (similar to above)

• LDAP filter: sAMAccountName=%s

Discard