Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How can you assign Unique Serial Numbers to an Assembled part and all it's Component defined in a BoM and how can you track thes

By
Colin Bacon
on 2/28/13, 6:14 PM 8,847 views

This question is about assigning unique serial numbers to a manufactured product and all it's main components and how to track these serial numbers during the life cycle of the product.

The serial numbers of components need to be tracked from goods receipt, into the warehouse, in production, shipping to the customer and eventual return of the product for possible reclamation.

Questions:

1. When manufacturing a batch (say of 50 PC's), how can I manually force the association of each PC Assembly with it's components (e.g. Motherboards, graphic cards, etc.?) and the respective unique serial numbers of each component? -e.g A PC Assembly - has a serial number XD234567 and has components Mother Board - serial number MB23423 and Graphics Card - serial number GC53454. The assembled product and it's components need to visible in the production, warehouse, shipping stages too.

2. How can I track (upstream & downstream) the assembled PC's serial number and also all components (with serial numbers) in it's BoM ? (this use to work better in version 6.1)

3. If a component (e.g. motherboard) is returned, how is it possible to track which Assembly it came from and which manufacturing order it's related to and any details of sales order, customer, etc.?

4. How could I swap one component with another after the product is assembled.

5. How is it possible to force unique serial numbers. i.e. it shouldn't be possible to allocate unique serial numbers to 2 products

Example report:

sites.google.com/a/baconconsult.eu/www/home/our-products/openerp/technical-documentation/openerp-modules---serial-numbers-and-lot-tracking/28.02.jpg

Has anyone got ideas how best to support this manufacturing Scenario in Openerp 7.0 and whether there are any additional modules that need to be installed to achieve this functionality?

Thanks for any ideas - work-a-rounds - sharing of modules

Colin

Holger Winkelmann
On 11/3/13, 3:12 PM

there is a module for 7.0 in the community modules handling serial numbers, we have not tested it yet. But also for us the missing serial number functionality is a major blocker for us to implement OpenERP. Especially as OPenERP claims serial number features but delivers Lot numbers which is a major difference.

Dot know I'm allowed to post links yet, but the link to the module is: https://www.openerp.com/apps/7.0/product_serial/

Travelping GmbH, Holger Winkelmann
on 11/3/13, 3:13 PM

Did you ever test this and find out if it solves this issue?

Elephante, Sean Samborski
on 2/18/14, 5:02 PM

AJ Schrafel Paper Corp

--AJ Schrafel Paper Corp--
| 4 5 8
Bronx, United States
--AJ Schrafel Paper Corp--

Exploring OpenERP for business

AJ Schrafel Paper Corp
On 3/13/13, 4:26 PM

openERP v7 out of the box is not setup to force UNIQUE identifying numbers for items in stock. At the time of receipt you can have the system assign a new pack number to incoming products, but users can change the pack number later, either to a new pack number or an existing pack number. I am going through the modules and crafting my own custom module that removes that ability.

I really want to implement this aspect also because it is vital to my business.

Being able to assign a unique sequence number to a piece of inventory would be great.

Hi @patently, we also really need this - will you be releasing your work? Thanks!

thenon
on 4/5/13, 9:51 AM

I am working on something, but to get the whole system updated is a major task, not close to done yet.

AJ Schrafel Paper Corp
on 4/5/13, 11:04 AM

Ditto. We're in a situation where we need to track what firmware is installed in each customer's equipment. I imagine there's a component for tracking equipment maintenance within one's organization. Maybe that can be turned inside out and integrated with customer service.

Nathan Irwin Smutz
on 4/13/13, 3:11 PM

any follow up on this?

7Gates Interactive Technologies, Erdem Uney
on 8/13/13, 2:25 PM

This is a common requirement for manufacturing companies, especially those with regulatory requirements for traceability - and is something that seems to be a common request on these boards. I am forward to seeing what can be done.

josh g
on 11/1/13, 4:23 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

8 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 2/28/13, 6:14 PM
Seen: 8847 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM