Odoo Help

How can I track a serial number after it's assembled into a BOM?

By
Gilles Lehoux
on 2/28/14, 2:57 PM 1,795 views

How can I track a serial number after it's assembled into a BOM?

Suppose product A with component B. Products A and B have a serial number and tracking options enabled. When manufacturing product A, the system will ask for the serial of A and B. Then, I sell product A to a customer. Now, product A's serial is shown at the customer's location. But, product B is shown at a "virtual production" location.

To show a serial's location, I use the menu: Reporting > Inventory Analysis > Group by Lot + Location

Also, I can see the serial's location in Warehouse > Traceablility > Serial Number.

Example: A car has a serial number. The car's engine has a serial number. The engine is assembled into the car. How can I find the car s/n for a given engine s/n.

If there's no way to track a serial number once it goes through a BOM then I think it's fair to say that OpenERP has not implemented serial numbers into manufacturing. It only covers shipments (purchasing, sales, internal movements), and treats manufacturing only if its basically a shipment from one location to another. The "production virtual" location is a programming shortcut, a dumping ground for serial numbers undergoing anything else.

Gilles Lehoux
on 2/28/14, 4:29 PM
Tim Turnquist
On 6/5/18, 9:58 AM

Has this issue been resolved in V11?

I am looking for similar functionality in Odoo.sh V11 Enterprise and it doesn't seem to have changed since this post from V7  (Feb 2014)

About This Community

This platform is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Register

Odoo Training Center

Access to our E-learning platform and experience all Odoo Apps through learning videos, exercises and Quizz.

Test it now

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 2/28/14, 2:57 PM
Seen: 1795 times
Last updated: 6/5/18, 9:58 AM