Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How can I add something to the Products menu?

By
Jeff Beidler
on 11/4/14, 4:40 PM 1,166 views

I want to create a new table/view/action for tariff codes/descriptions.  The menu item would preferrably live under Sales-->Products.  What should the "parent" be for the <menuitem> tag, and how would I discover this sort of thing in the future, for other menus?  The debug mode doesn't give any information, as far as I can see.

Ben Bernard

--Ben Bernard--
| 4 3 6
Jakarta, Indonesia
--Ben Bernard--
Ben Bernard
On 11/4/14, 10:53 PM

To see available menus, you can go to

> Settings -> User Interface -> Menu Items

The name is a clue to search the xml that define it. The convention to refer the external id is the same as when refering external id in the record.

For your case, check module "sale" and its sale_view.xml, there is base.menu_product menu that might interesting for you.

Thanks, Ben! Very helpful. I found "base.menu_product" in "product_view.xml", from the product module. Also, for anyone else who may have a similar problem, I discovered that your menu item will not appear if you forget the "name" attribute! :)

Jeff Beidler
on 11/5/14, 11:29 AM

michel Guénard

--michel Guénard--
| 5 5 8
VIROFLAY, France
--michel Guénard--

VP operations & finance Social entrepreneur Certified Public Accountant Past Chief internal auditor

michel Guénard
On 11/4/14, 5:53 PM

The answer is probably described at https://www.odoo.com/documentation/8.0/tutorials.html

No, I don't see anything specific about the "parent" attribute to "" to add a menu specifically beneath Sales-->Products.

Jeff Beidler
on 11/4/14, 6:24 PM

# Jeff: my answer was intended to be somehow ironic! I was meaning that this kind of customization for a product form which is very basic in its native state should be described in such a way that every one without to much expertise in coding could do it! did You solved your initial need? I would be interested because my products (music scores) needs to be described with a lot of details

AD LIBITOM, michel Guénard
on 3/17/15, 8:36 AM

Salut! I was able to find the parent menu, both in the sales module, as suggested by Ben, and under the product module. "base.menu_product" turned out to be the magic string. I then had to figure out that I couldn't leave out the "name" attribute of the menuitem tag, and also had to play with the sequence number to get my link to show up where I wanted in the list. Not sure if that answers your question... Bonne chance!

Jeff Beidler
on 3/17/15, 11:28 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 11/4/14, 4:40 PM
Seen: 1166 times
Last updated: 10/23/15, 9:11 AM