Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How can configure Odoo so I don't need to use Journals in Accounting?

on 6/12/14, 3:47 AM 823 views

We are new of Odoo. Still looking into it. Don't know much about it. But one thing I noticed is that Accounting heavily uses Journals. We don't want to use Journals. Once a Sales Order is processed we want to post the accounting consequences straight to the GL Accounts and that's it. We don't need to keep the Journals. They are not necessary for our Accounting. Is there a way we can eliminate the use of the Journals and still use Odoo by posting from the original document, like in the example of the Sales Order but it could be other type of documents, to the GL Accounts WITHOUT using any Journal? In other words we don't want to use Journal entries. In other words we want to set up Odoo so that is "document centric" where the document is all we need to process without adding the need for Journals. Then accounting consequences would then be posted to the appropriate GL Accounts.

Kevin McMenamin

--Kevin McMenamin--
| 5 2 6
Auckland, New Zealand
--Kevin McMenamin--
Kevin McMenamin
On 6/12/14, 4:55 AM

You can't not use journals, but don't get hung up with their existence.

You can set journals so they post automatically so just ignore them (other than setting them up) and just deal with the GL transactions created

On 6/12/14, 5:14 AM

Thanks Kevin. 

If I wanted to eliminate the use of the Journals how much customization is that? How much does Odoo need to be customized if I wanted to do that? How pervasive is the change? This is quite an important requirement. 

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Asked: 6/12/14, 3:47 AM
Seen: 823 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM