Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How Can Clients View Items in the Portal?

Eric Chaffey
on 2/23/15, 1:24 PM 962 views

I think I have read everything everywhere and can not find any real help, so I must ask... How is the portal really used? 

I know the basic concept, let your clients see things you attatch to them, but it is so limited nothing seems useful; but I could be using it wrong. So far I have my admin account and two demo users. I want the demo users to see their own quotations, invoices, projects, issues, helpdesk/knowledgebase, have messaging abilities, view their calendar with meetings, scheduled calls, past calls, sync with google calendar, view contracts. 90% of what I see about them, should be accessible to them, minus internal notes, accounting and other internal information. I want them to be able to see just about everything, comment, download, but have limited editing ability.

This seems possible using "Record Rules", but I read many things should be enabled by default and so far my demo users see nothing at all using the defaults; except claims; unless I manually add them as a follower. This has to be a bug, I am using it wrong or I screwed something up because I don't see invoices, quotations, projects, tasks, nada on the Portal. 

Is there documentation on how to ensure clients see things in the portal, any edits I should make in the Record Rules or should I just make the clients employees so they can view everything they need?

Panayiotis Omirou
On 7/14/16, 5:58 AM

Any answer to the last comment above of Eric?

On 2/23/15, 10:01 PM

Hello Eric,

You just need to set what apps are enabled for each of your users.  This is under the Settings menu option:
Here are the steps:

• From your administrator login, click "Settings" (top menu, far right option).
  • Then on the menu panel on the right look for the Users section. Click "Users".
  • This should list your logon and your two users.  Click one of the users an choose edit.
  • Under the "Access rights" tab you will see Applications.  Set each one.  The settings are pretty self explanitory (would be good if they were explained better on the page).  For example you can coose "User" or "Manager" access on some -- there are different drop down values for each.
  • Just below that are "Technical Setttings".  If you want to give your users full access then check all of these.

Hope that helps.

Eric Chaffey
On 2/25/15, 3:55 PM

Hey John,

Thank you much for your answer. I see that anyone can be assigned application use, but once anything is changed in that section, the client/user is assigned employee status. I was hoping to avoid applying the employee status to clients and only provide my clients viewing and editing access to materials that are relevant; ie: calendar, calls, invoices, contracts, etc.

Do you know how to make a "Portal User" have relevant access to specific information that is linked/assigned to them without making them an employee?

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

3 follower(s)

Asked: 2/23/15, 1:24 PM
Seen: 962 times
Last updated: 7/14/16, 6:05 PM