This question has been flagged
2 Replies

From openerp home page when I click stable download, it downloads Nightly release.

At present for OpenERP 7 there are multiple release

1. Nightly
  2. Trunk
  3. Bzr

I have downloaded Nightly build and tested Manufacturing flow i.e Purchase, Bill of material etc. It has major issues. That is when ever I run a scheduler, Request for quote the quantity is not matching. Also Product Quantity and forecast quantity also not matching.

I have to show a demo tomorrow and I am struck with roadblocks. Typically for stable release where to get code?

Thank you

Discard

We did not noticed quantities are wrong on generated RfQs. You should report your issue on launchpad, devs will qualify it.

Best Answer

Nightly is the stable release.

Trunk is the development version (future v8)

BZR is just a tool to download the sources on launchpad. From launchpad, you can download the sources for the stable or the trunk, depending on the branches you used.

Discard

Do you think we can always use nightly build for each 'customer specific' updates on production server or it's recommanded to keep the same version until next release (like 7.1) ?

@Clément THOMAS: as they say "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Surely you are not going to update the client's code every day? If there is a need to update to fix something that is broken, download a nightly, run tests on it, and when you are satisfied, effect the update. As a general rule, test at home before dumping it onto a client.

Thanks for your response : it's easy to say but it's boring to do, in accordance with number of functional things to test, generally, if we do an update, we test only functional flows related to the update. Other errors exceptionally returned by customer are processed as bug-fix. Maybe I should try to use unit test but it's another subject.

Nightly is not so stable. Eg: try to install the portal module on openerp-7.0-20131202-002354.tar.gz .It is not a bug, it will simply crash. I would like to know if there is anything more stable than that. Maybe a nightly build that has been tested and has some sort of warrant that at least it will work.

same as I see I developed a test module . when I use an older version the module work fine :) when I use it in the last version the fields are stored in tables but did not shows in the views !!! http://www.mediafire.com/download/428zhr6vcrf5uwm/test.tar.bz2

Best Answer

Sorry if this sounds rude but, if you are using the community edition and you find an issue with it, either (1) fix it or (2) report the bug so that others can fix it for you. Open source is a type of social contract where you get to use and modify a software product, often for free. In return you should give something back to the community. If you know how to program, write documentation, etc., give this back. If you can't, at least help those who write the software by reporting bugs and offering to give as much information as possible in order for your problem to be resolved.

If this doesn't work for you, there is another option: pay for the enterprise edition. Your money buys you support (among other things). The community edition is mostly intended for personal use or for individuals/groups who are fairly good at resolving any issue that may jump at them.

Discard
Author

It is a community driven project. I saw some issues and I was not sure it is a really a bug. If you go back to fundamental of software development life cycle, official release is fully tested and qualified release. If you go to OpenERP website and request for download it downloads nightly build and it is mentioned as stable. Complex products like OpenERP requires more than a week to test and qualify.So any developers who download will have concern. I have expressed concern based on my experience with it.