Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Getting developers to work on odoo without root login.

on 2/9/16, 2:32 PM 297 views

Is it possible? Can Odoo run as a user with chroot jail, just sftp access to the files?

Axel Mendoza

--Axel Mendoza--
| 6 7 8
Camaguey, Cuba
--Axel Mendoza--

DevOps - Full stack - Software Architect - Developer - Technology Integrator

I could help you to develop anything and solve complex problems based on technologies, integrations and tricky stuffs mostly in Python with OpenERP/Odoo, Zato, Django and many others frameworks programming languages and technologies.

I offers consulting services to anyone with an unanswered questions or needs for customizations. Think about it, maybe it's better to have an expert to solve your issues and projects than having a full time employee trying to understand what to do an how

Reach me at aekroft@gmail.com

Axel Mendoza
On 2/9/16, 4:43 PM

Normally developers don't work with Odoo in the server, they work locally and push their code to a repository that it's pulled on the server to be updated. Odoo itself doesn't allow you to running as root so you need to create another user to run it and also you could put the files in the filesystem type of your preference. 

Yes good thinking 99, clone the git and have them work locally. Don't want anyone poking around the server wherever they like.

on 2/9/16, 10:00 PM

I don't get the 99 thing, :)

Axel Mendoza
on 2/9/16, 10:05 PM

Now I get it, I will see the movie and the serie. Could you upvote it the answer?

Axel Mendoza
on 2/9/16, 10:18 PM
M Grmn
On 2/9/16, 4:50 PM

Maybe I do not follow you correctly, but if you have setup Odoo correctly it is already chrooted to its own directory. And as far as giving access to developers to the Odoo root yes that is possible. Just setup user rights correctly. Also you can use ftp config to limit developers to a certen directory for example if you use vsftp make sure the config has chroot_local_user. Additional info on FTP accounts you can find here https://doc.odoo.com/book/7/7_19_Documents/7_19_Documents_access.html/

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Asked: 2/9/16, 2:32 PM
Seen: 297 times
Last updated: 2/9/16, 4:52 PM