This question has been flagged
1 Reply

Curious how others might handle tracking free product given to various customers. We have several ambassadors who promote our products online. We in turn send them free product each month. We don't charge them for the product, nor the shipping. Currently, we have a price rule where each of these ambassadors have a 100% discount on all products we 'sell' them. Problem is, would like to track the amount we send them each month via a GL account and/or their customer statement. 

How would you solve this issue? I can't change the COGS account associated with the products because we sell these products to other real customers. One thought I had was to accumulate each ambassador's accounts receivable and as a month end procedure, write off the receivable and income to an expense account. I'm open to suggestions if you can think of something else! 

Discard
Best Answer

I think you can use Fiscal Position to override the accounts for specific customers.

1. Create a Fiscal Position and in the "Account Mapping" tab enter the COGS account and the Expense account you want to use.  You can map multiple accounts if required

2. In the "Sales & Purchase" tab for these customers, select the Fiscal Position you setup in step #1

3. Account will be changed automatically for transactions for these customers

Discard