This question has been flagged

UPDATE ON HOW IT WAS FIXED: For some reason the home directory for the user "odoo" (/home/odoo) was owned by "root".  I guess that prevented Postgres and/or Odoo from operating.  When I changed the ownership to "odoo" then it finally ran.  Also, once I did that then on restart the message "Restarting odoo: start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 9508: No such process" changed to "Restarting odoo: ok"  I guess I should have paid more attention to the wornign in the 1st place!

ORIGINAL POSTING:  I am probably missing something simple but I cannot seem to get Odoo v8 set up right.  Please help me out by making any suggestions that you think might solve the problem.

I installed Odoo v8 on Ubuntu 12.4 from the nightly repository using Synaptic Package Manager.  That went fine as far as Synaptic was concerned; no errors.
Install directory "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openerp" is owned by root.
Add-ons directory" "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openerp/addons" is owned by root.

I had previous test installations of OpenERP Trunk (v8) on the box so already had Postgres installed and had an "odoo" Postgres user with SU rights and ability to create DBs.  Postgres is running and will restart, etc.

I have a Linux user called "odoo" which owns the config file: "/etc/odoo/openerp-server.conf", log directory: "/var/log/odoo directory", and add-ons directory: "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openerp/addons".  The openerp-server.conf file has:
[options]
; This is the password that allows database operations:
; admin_passwd = admin
db_host = False
db_port = False
db_user = odoo
db_password = <my Postgres "odoo" user's PW>
addons_path = /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openerp/addons
LOGFILE=/var/log/odoo/odoo-server.log

The install script created "/etc/init.d/odoo" and it works.  I can do "sudo /etc/init.d/odoo status" and it comes back "Status of odoo: running".  I do "sudo /etc/init.d/odoo restart" and it comes back "Restarting odoo: start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 9508: No such process" and then on the next line "ok".

The script also created rc.d entries that work because right after I rebooted the above STATUS inquiry returned the "running" status too.

So all is fine and dandy except that the next step is to check the log file to see what it says and it is empty.  Also, when I point my browser to http"//ip:8069 I get "This webpage is not available"

Any ideas?  Odoo is obviously running but it is not working.  It is not writing to its log file.  Does this sound like a permissions problem?  Or is Odoo not correctly accessing the Postgres DB?

Discard