Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Filter using first letter of Name

By
Dale
on 10/28/15, 5:00 PM 530 views

Hi All

I am attempting to create filters to segment my database. For me it makes sense to use the first letter of Name. i.e. Contacts starting with A, B, C, etc, along with a tag. It seems thought that I get records in multiple filters because it returns contacts that FIRST OR LAST name begin with that letter of the Alphabet. E.g. Doctor Hoffman Will appear in both the D filter and the W filter where I only want him to appear once. I am using this filter for instance:

[['category_id', '=', 'UK Import'], ['name', '=like', 'C']] 

What am I doing wrong? Why is it looking in both the First and Last name and not just the first letter of the name field?

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Marvin Taboada
On 10/28/15, 11:22 PM

Hello Dale,

I'm afraid this can't be achieved, all string LIKE/NOT LIKE comparison operators end up matching substrings, either case sensitive or insentitive, please see here:

https://github.com/odoo/odoo/blob/8.0/openerp/osv/expression.py#L1219

Notice how the right leaf (the query parameter) is automatically wrapped in '%' wildcards lines below to end as '%%%s%%' (which evaluates to '%my_search_criteria%').

* https://github.com/odoo/odoo/blob/8.0/openerp/osv/expression.py#L1242

Filters use search by default, which in turn end using domain expressions and hence the above limitation.

Using the exact match operator '=' prevents wrapping the search criteria in wildcards but then any wildcards explicitly provided in the search criteria (like in 'my_search_criteria%') are not taken into account.

Regards.

Holden Rehg
On 4/11/16, 10:22 AM

You should be able to use the filter with a wildcard like the following for starts with / ends with:

# Starts With C
['name', '=like', 'C%']

# Ends With C
['name', '=like', '%C']

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 10/28/15, 5:00 PM
Seen: 530 times
Last updated: 4/11/16, 10:22 AM