Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

ER Diagramign tool

on 10/27/15, 12:20 PM 695 views

What is the best Entity Relationship Diagram Tool to design new Odoo modules? How about generating Python and XML templates automatically after design?

Andrea Dalseno
On 10/27/15, 12:42 PM

Thanks a million. That is simply genius. So, can I use any ERD tool that can export the design to XMI?

OdooTec, Hesham ELMAHDY
on 10/28/15, 5:50 AM

Actually I haven't used it yet, but I've seen they used it with UML diagrams from ArgoUML: https://www.odoo.com/slides/slide/xmi2odoo-from-an-uml-map-to-an-odoo-module-in-no-time-302/pdf_content

Andrea Dalseno
on 10/28/15, 6:01 AM

Strictly speaking, you will not need to manage E/R diagrams. You work with UML to model your classes then the ORM Odoo engine will create the database tables for you based on your model (you should not interact directly with the database).

Andrea Dalseno
on 10/28/15, 6:08 AM

Will it creat python class on .py and .xml views?

OdooTec, Hesham ELMAHDY
on 10/28/15, 3:09 PM

As I told you I haven't tried it yet, but I think it will just create the module classes (.py files) and not the views (XML). I'm still managing to understand the basic functions of Odoo and have a lot of problems with inheritance even with simple classes (there are a couple of questions of mine open here in the forum). I will test it as soon as possible. IMHO you create your UML models with classes using ArgoUML and then with xmi2odoo you will obtain the odoo modules (.py files) from your model that you can further personalize (anyway on github there is an example you can follow). Give it a try. It should work on version 8, I'm not sure you can use it with version 9 (you should verify it). Here is the example https://github.com/ingadhoc/xmi2odoo_example

Andrea Dalseno
on 10/28/15, 6:01 PM
On 10/27/15, 12:55 PM

You may want to give this tool a short. 

This tool have Object  and database ER modelling capabilities.  There are several other tools out there in the market, but this one seems to be very feature rich and inexpensive.

Thanks a million. Looks very powerful. Only down side is no Ubuntu version.

OdooTec, Hesham ELMAHDY
on 10/28/15, 5:49 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Asked: 10/27/15, 12:20 PM
Seen: 695 times
Last updated: 10/27/15, 1:33 PM