Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Engineering change management in Open ERP

Jose Espinoza
on 4/9/13, 4:51 PM 3,015 views

I would like to know how to use Open ERP to control and managage Changes on BoM or Products. Is it possible to keep track of changes, to create Engineering Change Orders?

Is there any module I could use in Open ERP 7?

I will appreciate any orientation you can provied

For starters, you could put a begin and end date on the products in your BoM. (Valid from, valid until)

Matt Taylor
On 4/8/15, 11:58 AM

For good change management, you really need both methods suggested here, and more.

• begin / end dates on BOM components

• revision identifier on products

We have deeply nested BOMs, up to 8 levels deep, with thousands of components.

When you revise a component, you need to make a copy of the product with a revision identifier.  Where this revised product is used in an assembly, you set an end date for the previous revision, and a start date for the new revision.

If the revised component is a subassembly, then you also need to make a copy of the BOM for that revised subassembly.  A custom module, doing all of this at once, would be convenient.

Dale Scott
On 3/31/14, 12:21 AM

I've used the approach proposed by Josse before with reasonable success, although it can be tedious reviewing each part's end-date to determine which parts were included on a product's BoM several revisions back.

Another approach I've used before is to suffix the part number (aka "Internal Reference") with the revision level. For example, part number 2100123-01 for revision 1, 2100123-02 for revision 2, etc.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Asked: 4/9/13, 4:51 PM
Seen: 3015 times
Last updated: 4/8/15, 11:58 AM