This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I want to ask about editing process in openerp, especially in v7.

I edit xml file (form, tree, search) is from frontend xml inside openerp; i edit phyton file is from backend of openerp folder in .py file; i edit xml file (action) is from database (model) openerp not from frontend xml inside openerp; etc.

The question: are them the only way in editing it? is it any other simple way? if i must edit from many place, i think this is not efficient..

Discard

Hello. Please, what's the point of these tags openerp, openerp-7, openerp7 ? We're on an OpenERP Q&A, it seems obvious that que question will be about OpenERP. Regarding the version, you can use the tag v7. Also I don't really get your question...

Anto is right, please use only v7 tag we are not in stackoverflow to use such tags.

Best Answer

General and High Level rules:

XML files are loaded into the database when a module is installed or updated. XML files insert database records. These records are editable either via the UI or via the XML files themselves.

If you edit the records via the UI, your changes will affect OpenERP.

If you edit the XML file, your changes will not affect OpenERP until you update the module.

If you edit the records via the UI, your changes will be removed next time you update the module - because the XML files will be loaded back into the database, replacing the records you have edited.

If you want to modify anything in OpenERP, you need to create your own database records - views, actions, workflows, etc.

If you create these database records via the UI - your customizations will only be available in the database you create them in.

If you create these database records via your own XML files - your cusomziations can be applied to any database.

You should never edit anything in the database, as this bypasses the business / application layer and can quickly break the integrity of the database (meaning it will no longer be accurate and/or will prevent OpenERP from working properly).

Discard
Author

it means i must modify "res_partner_view.xml" if i want to add or erase field in that module, doesn't it?

You should create another view that inherits that view and makes the field invisible (to 'erase' it) or adds a new field. It is better to make a field you don't want invisible rather than remove it from the view, because another view or field might expect it to be there.

Author

what about if i directly edit from ex. "res_partner_view.xml"? is it forbidden? or bad way?

This will work, but will not survive a module or system update.

Author

when i make new inheritance view in backend, how can i put my new inheritance view together with a parent view in UI? or updated the new inheritance view?

Best Answer

hi guys i edit xml and python file then update module but not take effect yet

Discard