Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

eCommerce - Product search on homepage?

Frank Adler
on 8/4/14, 8:56 PM 1,160 views

Am using v8 with website builder and eCommerce.

I'd like to offer the product search functionality (i.e. the product search box which is available once you click on 'Shop' in the default menu) directly on my homepage. 

How can I achieve this?

Hi Frank, I believe you may need to modify your layout.xml file in order to achieve this. Please post back with what theme you are using so that I have an understanding of your setup.

Luke Branch
on 8/4/14, 11:55 PM

Hi Luke, thx for the fast response. I am currently using the 'spacelab' theme in the frontend.

Frank Adler
on 8/5/14, 12:16 AM

Hi Frank, I am still trying to figure this one out. Placing the search bar anywhere other than within the 'shop' area (ie. product view or category view) page throws an error as the search module itself falls back to the website_sale module, specifically in the /views/templates.xml file. I will post back here if I am able to figure out a way to add it to other CMS pages or the default header.

Luke Branch
on 8/12/14, 5:18 AM

Hi Luke, Thanks for your efforts! I was going to give the thread a bump yesterday but then saw your msg. I am still keen to find a solution on this. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Frank Adler
on 8/12/14, 10:24 PM

@Frank, I haven't had time to look into this properly yet i'm afraid, but I have just come across an implementation by Odoo SA in design-themes: http://runbot.odoo.com/runbot/repo/git-github-com-odoo-design-themes-3 if you run the one for the kiddo theme you'll see a working unified search bar there that works for product search on all pages. If you want to login to the admin for that runbot just use admin for the username and password. I haven't had the time to look into it in detail yet, but i'm sure there is a bit of python code along with the views that are visible in the website editor that allow it to do this.

Luke Branch
on 12/20/14, 5:33 AM

I would highly recommend looking into this project:

I discovered this the other day when looking through the new Odoo Community Apps for version 8.0. This module is moving towards an all-in-one search engine for CMS, Forum, E-commerce, etc, and looks like it will be very useful as it starts to evolve.

There's also a discussion on feature requests for the developer here if you're interested: https://github.com/OpenSur/Odoo_addons/issues/9#issuecomment-73711833

Luke Branch
on 2/11/15, 2:21 AM

Here's a link to the item in Odoo Apps:

In case this is what you need for the Saas service you are using.

Luke Branch
on 2/11/15, 2:51 AM
Frank Adler
On 8/11/14, 6:39 PM

Can I achieve the change to the layout.xml by modifying / inheriting a particular qweb view from the backend?

Unfortunately I don't have access to my actual file system...

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

3 follower(s)

Asked: 8/4/14, 8:56 PM
Seen: 1160 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM