Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Easier development in OpenERP

By
wasis85
on 2/20/13, 9:58 PM 3,641 views

I want to ask about editing file in openerp, especially in v7.

I edit xml file (form, tree, search) is from frontend xml inside openerp; i edit phyton file is from backend of openerp folder in .py file; i edit xml file (action) is from database (model) openerp not from frontend xml inside openerp; etc.

The question: does the way that i mention above is the only way in editing it? is it any other simple way? if i must edit the file from many place (xml, .py, database(model),etc ), i think this is not efficient.

If my answer doesn't fit your needs, could you be more specific in what you need to do?

Camptocamp SA
on 2/21/13, 4:32 AM

my resume question is, is it possible to edit file or module in openerp, only from one place? backend or frontend?

wasis85
on 2/21/13, 5:41 AM

I still don't really understand; do you have some practical example ? Did you mean, "Does OpenERP provide a specific IDE ?" Something like Visual Studio, for instance ?

Antonin Bourguignon (abo)
on 2/21/13, 5:55 AM

You won't be able to implement all the logic from frontend. You must do a module for that and use your prefered editor.

Camptocamp SA
on 2/21/13, 6:34 AM

when i want to edit phyton file, i must go to backend; but when i want to edit xml file, i must go to frontend. why i can't automatically edit phyton file n xml file from backend, whereas both of them are from backend..?

wasis85
on 2/21/13, 11:11 PM

sorry i found it in windows action menu.. my simple question is, can i edit xml file from backend, just like phyton file?

wasis85
on 2/22/13, 4:07 AM

In my answer, the part Module development shows you all the ref you need and says that you can use XML inheritance to make your XML files. You just have to declare them in your __openerp__.py. Don't forget that, modifying view from files, needs a module update, and modifying python needs a server restart.

Camptocamp SA
on 2/22/13, 5:22 AM
Yaroslav
On 2/21/13, 6:53 AM

I guess this should be a comment, but is far to long to fit on the available area for comments.

Are you using some IDE to do your development or just a plain text editor? Don't get me wrong, many people use plain text editors and are very good at it, but using an IDE will surely speed up things. For small changes using some kind of text editor is ok (I recommend Notepad++, and it works both on win and *nix enviroments) but if you want to modify different kind of files at once, have autocompletion for different language features, test your changes, etc, then an IDE will be really useful.

On my case I'm using Eclipse Juno on Ubuntu 12.04LTS with all the python and OpenERP templates, it's working like charm. I can debug, edit all kind of files and autocompletion is a great feature, mostly for beginners like me.

Here is a detailed video on how to setup this enviroment: Debug your openERP+python code in eclipse

And a couple of links that can be also helpful:

Yannick Vaucher

--Yannick Vaucher--
| 5 7 9
Lausanne, Switzerland
--Yannick Vaucher--
Yannick Vaucher
On 2/21/13, 4:30 AM

As I understood it, you are directly altering the base xml and python files?

Modules development

A much cleaner way to customize your OpenERP is by making modules. So when you udpate your OpenERP instance code you don't make conflicts.

By making modules, you can use the inheritances in python and XML to extend or alter the default behaviors.

Customize from client

XML

Otherwise, you can edit XML views directly from the client. But, be careful those change will be only in your database and can't really be extracted. In my opinion it is better to write it in files.

To do that, you can go in Settings -> Technical -> User Interface -> Views

Model

You can also add specific fields on your model going in: Settings -> Technical -> Database Structure

Javascript

As in v7 it is a web client, you can also alter css and javascript.

doc Building an OpenERP Web module

is it mean, there are 3 ways to edit openerp module file, from: 1. python files 2. database 3. xml from frontend

is it true?

wasis85
on 2/21/13, 5:23 AM

I also added Database structure. You can add customized fields on your models from the front end.

Camptocamp SA
on 2/21/13, 6:24 AM

I would say you have 2 ways instead of 3. from Frontend or Backend. In modules you have both python and XML files, and in frontend you can change views and model. Altering the XML into directly into the database is only an option if you want to make yourself some headaches.

Camptocamp SA
on 2/21/13, 6:30 AM

"..Altering the XML into directly into the database is only an option if you want to make yourself some headaches.", but for in record action, ex. <record id="action_partner_form" model="ir.actions.act_window">..., the only way that i know to update this xml is from database cause i can't find this xml in frontend..

wasis85
on 2/21/13, 10:41 PM

Have you tried to follow that path in OpenERP? Settings -> Technical -> User Interface -> Views

Camptocamp SA
on 2/22/13, 5:26 AM

i found it in Window Actions menu..

this is the key of my question..when i want to edit phyton file, i must go to backend; but when i want to edit xml file, i must go to frontend. why i can't automatically edit phyton file n xml file from backend, whereas both of them are from backend..?

wasis85
on 2/22/13, 5:35 AM

As I understood it, for you backend is files and the code, and frontend is the interface. Is that right? In that case, please read the doc on how to create a module and you will have all informations you need to change anything in openerp from what you call the "backend".

Camptocamp SA
on 2/22/13, 5:40 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 2/20/13, 9:58 PM
Seen: 3641 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM