This question has been flagged

This may seem like a total noob question but if I want to inherit and significantly alter a form view from a different module, does that module need to be installed in the DB I'm working with or can I inherit it since it is in the openerp instance files but not installed? My reason for this is not wanting the entire menu and module to be accessible, only the model and customized form/tree views for a particular feature.

If the answer is yes, how can I use a custom module to remove the menu for the unwanted module access? Is there a replace command for that? Or do I have to hide it with a permissions file?

I want to hard code this and not use Settings>Config>Menu Items because I read that they should not be relied on for security reasons and I would just feel better if I knew my changes can't be over-written in an update.

Discard
Best Answer

Hi,

When you inherit object or view, you need to add that module as dependent module in _openerp_.py. So it will be installed when you install your custom module. 

If you want to hide or dont want to access the menus from that module, you can rewrite the menu by using same xml id. And assign group to those specific menus.

Hope this may help you. 

Discard
Author Best Answer

Thank you Nehal for the clarification. I also found more information about my questions in the documentation under Security.

Discard