Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Database backups getting smaller in size?

Antonio Ko
on 8/30/16, 11:46 AM 165 views

I have been playing Odoo 9 for a while now. I recently notice that my database backups are shrinking in size (substantially) after each backup. Does Odoo or PostgreSQL somehow optimize the database after a period of time?

I've noticed that some of the product pictures are missing after each database backup.
Not really sure what to do to prevent it happening.

Antonio Ko
on 8/30/16, 3:20 PM
Antonio Ko
On 8/31/16, 11:38 AM

Thanks Mark. I found that the temp data or so called transient data were deleted after a period of time by Odoo and that made a huge size difference on the dump.

Mark Draheim
On 8/30/16, 3:08 PM

I doubt that, unless you actually removed records from the database, or removed files from the filestore in case of zip backups. If neither is the case, I would check a restore of one of the small dumps and check whether there is data missing. I had incomplete dumps without error message recently but that may have been due to a misconfiguration on my side.

Thanks, I will check. At a glance it seems the sql dump is smaller in size,but I couldn't tell what is missing now.

Antonio Ko
on 8/30/16, 3:12 PM

Convert a big and a small dump to sql txt file "pg_restore db1.dump > db1.sql", then count the lines and compare "cat db1.sql | wc -l". It is only a crude measure but it should give a hint.

Mark Draheim
on 8/30/16, 3:25 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Asked: 8/30/16, 11:46 AM
Seen: 165 times
Last updated: 8/31/16, 11:38 AM