Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Database backups getting smaller in size?

By
Antonio Ko
on 8/30/16, 11:46 AM 187 views

Hi,

I have been playing Odoo 9 for a while now. I recently notice that my database backups are shrinking in size (substantially) after each backup. Does Odoo or PostgreSQL somehow optimize the database after a period of time?

Thanks

Antonio

I've noticed that some of the product pictures are missing after each database backup.
Not really sure what to do to prevent it happening.

Antonio Ko
on 8/30/16, 3:20 PM
Antonio Ko
On 8/31/16, 11:38 AM

Thanks Mark. I found that the temp data or so called transient data were deleted after a period of time by Odoo and that made a huge size difference on the dump.

Mark Draheim
On 8/30/16, 3:08 PM

I doubt that, unless you actually removed records from the database, or removed files from the filestore in case of zip backups. If neither is the case, I would check a restore of one of the small dumps and check whether there is data missing. I had incomplete dumps without error message recently but that may have been due to a misconfiguration on my side.

Thanks, I will check. At a glance it seems the sql dump is smaller in size,but I couldn't tell what is missing now.

Antonio Ko
on 8/30/16, 3:12 PM

Convert a big and a small dump to sql txt file "pg_restore db1.dump > db1.sql", then count the lines and compare "cat db1.sql | wc -l". It is only a crude measure but it should give a hint.

Mark Draheim
on 8/30/16, 3:25 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 8/30/16, 11:46 AM
Seen: 187 times
Last updated: 8/31/16, 11:38 AM