Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Customer form invoices section displays refunds as positive number, which results in incorrect total in v7?

By
Sean Samborski
on 8/13/14, 3:21 PM 1,277 views

When we create customer invoices, we create through Accounting -> Customer Invoices. Likewise with refunds, Accounting -> Customer Refunds. When we process payments, we use Accounting -> Customer Payments. 

Now, when going to Sales -> Customers -> [Customer] -> More -> Invoices, we get a list view of the customer invoices and refunds all on a single screen. This is great, however, the positives recorded in the Refund are shown on this screen. The Refund forms are correctly debiting from payments and such but on this screen, they're shown as positives.

So for example, I create a Customer Invoices for $500.00

I create a Customer Refund for $150.00

When I go to make payments, everything works out correctly and the customer only owes $350.00.

When I go to Sales -> Customers -> [Customer] -> More -> Invoices the total now reads $500.00 + $150.00 for $650.00. What am I doing wrong here?

Janeesh

--Janeesh--
| 4 3 4
Cochin, India
--Janeesh--

Odoo Developer

Janeesh
On 8/14/14, 8:39 AM

We will never add customer invoice and customer refund to get the customer balance. Customer balance is the difference of customer invoice and customer refund. We can never enter negative value as this value is going to journal entry. In customer refunds, the accounting entry is reverese of invoice entry. ie, on customer invoice validation we will debit customer account where as in customer refunds, customer account is credited. Custome balance is the total debit - total credit in that customer account.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Perhaps you can clarify. The last line you say seems correct: Customer balance = total debit - total credit. What I'm saying is the view I'm looking at will return Customer balance = total debit + total credit.

Elephante, Sean Samborski
on 8/27/14, 1:34 AM

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 8/13/14, 8:26 PM

It isn't anything you are doing - this is just the way that view works.

It isn't accurate to have a total that doesn't take into account the negative nature of refunds, so the view is really misleading.

I usually add a group by type and make that the default, so that you can see the total of both regular invoices and refund invoices.  The grand total is still wrong and not corrected by the group by, so you still need to educate users about what it is showing.

If you do this I would suggest also installing https://www.odoo.com/apps/7.0/web_group_expand/

Yes, it is pretty misleading. I understand because of the way the journals work that a refund would be a positive on the customer refund invoice, but I think the system should take that into account when it is returning that view. Thanks for the answer.

Elephante, Sean Samborski
on 8/27/14, 1:36 AM
Danny W. Adair
On 9/22/14, 9:04 PM

It's the javascript on the client side doing this, so refund amounts should simply _show_ as negative, they don't have to _be_ negative. I would suggest to change account/account_invoice_view.xml so that the "invoice_tree" record doesn't use "amount_total" etc. but instead use something new like "amount_total_signed" which would be the same but where desired (e.g. refund) prepends a minus.

You could do this now by way of an add-on that provides the corresponding invoice functions and overrides the existing "invoice_tree" columns via xpath replace.

The current sum at the bottom is so useless, even hiding it would be an improvement.

see also https://bugs.launchpad.net/openobject-addons/+bug/1104139

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 8/13/14, 3:21 PM
Seen: 1277 times
Last updated: 12/13/15, 4:45 AM