This question has been flagged
1 Reply

Hi all,

I'm new to Odoo but have robust programming skills. i would like to add a module to allow users to optionally associate an invoice template to their customers and use the associated invoice template as a replacement to the default invoice model.

To add a field on the customer form to record the template to use, I know how to do it. However I have no idea about how to catch the Print > Invoice event and exploit the defined value in the field and either apply a custom template or use the regular default one.

Could you please help me with this?

Discard
Best Answer

the printed standard xml templates from odoo are located in settings -> reports -> reports

there you have for example the invoice template. 

There you click on Qweb and then you have the xml of this printed report.

The report_invoice_document is the main file.

For more information check the odoo documentations: https://www.odoo.com/documentation/10.0/reference/reports.html

best regards

Discard
Author

I know this. The idea is not to modify the same default invoice report for all our customers, but to be able to add a *per customer* template to address our needs. For example, use a special invoice template for customers in the USA, another one for our customers in Europe, etc.

you can handle this by adding a new .xml template to your module and then to add it to the print button. you can work with translations or with language querys ..

Author

That's not I want to do. I don't want sales users to be able to chose the kind of document to print. And want this to be configured once and for all into the client's information and automatically used by Odoo when using the regular "Print > Invoice".

My question is : how to catch the "Print > Invoice" event and exploit the defined value in the field and either apply a custom template or use the regular default one.

you can look in the module that imports the invoice template and the print function. so then you can modify it like you want. I don't have time right now to search it, but I think it's in the account_invoice module or in the reports.

Author

I'll examine this module and consider if I can inherit its print function (or one function it uses to load the template.xml files) in my module to optionally override its behavior. Thanks. :)

Author

Read overload instead of override.

Author

@wizards, it's the account_invoice module that defines the account.invoice model in addons/account/models/account_invoice.py.

Then a template named account.report_invoice in is defined in addons/account/views/report_invoice.xml.

Both model and template are associated through a report /addons/account/views/account_report.xml.

The thing is, as the report is defined as XML, I do not know how to dynamically replace it. Is it possible to create a new model inheriting of account_invoice in order to overload its "file" attribut?

If so, how to do that ?