Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Creating a new Menu item

Erhuvwu Akpobaro
on 1/23/15, 5:21 AM 960 views

Hello guys i know how to create a new menu item at the top level through the backend , however what i also want to do is put or inherit  a already made menu items such as customers and qoutations under that menu through the backend .

For Example :

-> my newly created item

-> Customers (sales or Accounting)

-> Qoutations

-> Contracts

-> Customer Invoice

Is this possible guys ?

Erhuvwu Akpobaro
On 1/23/15, 6:15 AM

@ Mathias Colpaert , this is a good way of doing but what if there is a new update / soucre of odoo will the customized menu changes  stay  thats why i wanted to explore posibly doing it through the backend  .

I don't know how to do that :) But I wouldn't spend any time trying to find out how to do that. As far as I know, the menus are saved in the database, so updating to a new version of the source won't affect them. (within the same stable release at least)

Mathias Colpaert
on 1/23/15, 6:30 AM

You can of course copy the menus from the other modules, and leave the existing ones be? You could do this in the backend.

Mathias Colpaert
on 1/23/15, 6:32 AM

Ahh yes thats exactly want i want to do , not alter the currents one but just make an alternative route , so through backend could i just copy the code , and make the parent the custom menu i make ?

Erhuvwu Akpobaro
on 1/23/15, 6:38 AM

Yes, but don't forget to give a new ID when you copy!

Mathias Colpaert
on 1/23/15, 8:12 AM
Mathias Colpaert
On 1/23/15, 6:08 AM
  • Go to settings -> User interface -> Menu items
  • search for the menu you want, (eg Quotations). Click Edit
  • Change the parent menu to your menu
  • Save!

Atchuthan - Technical Consultant, Sodexis Inc

--Atchuthan - Technical Consultant, Sodexis Inc--
| 5 3 8
Puducherry, India
--Atchuthan - Technical Consultant, Sodexis Inc--
Passionate coder in Python/Odoo(formerly known as OpenERP).

Contact me via GMail: atchuthantu@gmail.com via Skype: atchuthan_skype
via Linkedin: http://in.linkedin.com/in/atchuthantu
Atchuthan - Technical Consultant, Sodexis Inc
On 1/23/15, 7:02 AM

ORIGINAL MENU @ sale_view.xml
<menuitem action="action_orders" id="menu_sale_order" parent="base.menu_sales" sequence="5" groups="base.group_sale_salesman,base.group_sale_manager"/>

Create your main menu with id="new_parent_menu_id"
<menuitem id="sale.menu_sale_order" parent="new_parent_menu_id" />
<record id="sale.menu_sale_order" model="ir.ui.menu">
    <field name="parent_id">new_parent_menu_id</field>

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Asked: 1/23/15, 5:21 AM
Seen: 960 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM