Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Creating a new field! - Which path should I take?

on 5/12/13, 9:41 AM 1,377 views

I have been trying to ramp up my learning of Openerp

I now have....

1) watched 43 videos on python.

2) read countless documents doucuments

3) Countless you tube

4) Countless forums

However I am now more confused than ever on which path to take to create a new field!

1) Settings > Database Structure > Fields > Create

2) Edit an existing module

3) Create a new module

4) Developer Mode > Manage Views > Edit > + > New Field

Which way would you add a field?

Whats the differences?

Is their a recommended way?

Is one way way better than another?

Many Thanks

| 5 4 7
Baarn, Netherlands
On 5/12/13, 12:13 PM

The best way depends on your situation.

But in general the best thing would be to create your own module, if you want to extend an official module.

If you have downloaded a module from internet, and you had to upgrade it to match V7, than you might want to use that module. But even then, making your own module would be preferred.

Making your own module(s) and extend other modules, means you have all your modifications in 1 place, you can use your new fields to do things with (for example calculations), when you install a new database, you just install your module(s) and everything is there. And you can share your modifications with the rest of the world, without the need to add additional information about what field to create where and with what name.

Option 1 of your question is something you can do to quickly add a field, but you can only fill it, and print it on forms. Disadvantage is that you have to do everything manually (easy to forget when making a new database).

Option 4 is sort of the same as option 1.

Option 2 is better, because of the reasons above.

Option 3 is the best, given the reasons above.

Many thanks

on 5/12/13, 6:54 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Asked: 5/12/13, 9:41 AM
Seen: 1377 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM