Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Create Report Directly From RML?

By
David Warner
on 10/20/13, 3:28 PM 1,912 views

Is it possible to create sale order report directly from RML without converting SXW to RML?

Brett Lehrer

--Brett Lehrer--
| 5 4 8
Milwaukee, United States
--Brett Lehrer--
Director of IT and open source enthusiast.
Brett Lehrer
On 10/21/13, 3:36 PM

Sure, RML is just XML, somewhat like HTML. I've found that writing RML directly is a far easier way to cleanly edit PDFs. Look at the Sales Order RML as an example.

You will probably want to refer to the RML manual to help explain some of the formatting concepts: http://www.reportlab.com/docs/rml2pdf-userguide.pdf

Though I don't recommend permanently editing the original source code, you can edit sale_order.rml (as an example, any existing report will work) and see all changes live just by running the report again, no need to restart or reload the page or anything like that. Once you have the changes you want (if you're modifying an existing report), put it into a separate module overwriting the existing report in the database.

Agreed. RML can be edited in any text editor.

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 10/21/13, 9:19 PM

Thank you very much Brett and Ray for answering my question.But still i need small help regarding RML reporting......Brett Can u further elaborate or can u give me some examples from where i can start making small reports directly from RML without converting SXW to RML?

David Warner
on 10/24/13, 3:20 AM

The best way to start learning (IMO) is to start making small tweaks to existing reports and watching how they change, just make a backup of the original RML file first. Change font sizes and spacing around, add another field from the source object in somewhere, that sort of stuff. Once you feel comfortable making little tweaks to existing reports, making your own from scratch won't be as daunting. I can't help much more than that though, at some point you have to just sit down and grind away at it until it starts making sense.

Brett Lehrer
on 10/24/13, 3:23 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 10/20/13, 3:28 PM
Seen: 1912 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM