Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Checking more than one email address in version 7

Bill Ennals
on 4/4/13, 1:48 AM 3,681 views

Can OpenERP 7 check an imap mail server for more than one email address?

I have 2 users, John and Jill. They each have a separate email address: john@examplecompany.com and jill@examplecompany.com. Is it possible to configure OpenERP so that both of these users get emails sent to their individual addresses in their OpenERP inbox?

If so, how?

Priyesh Solanki (pso)

--Priyesh Solanki (pso)--
Tiny ERP Pvt Ltd
| 2 2 4
--Priyesh Solanki (pso)--
Priyesh Solanki (pso)
On 4/4/13, 4:44 AM

Yes, its possible with OpenERP. You need to configure Incoming Mail Servers for both users from Settings --> Emails --> Incoming Mail Server. After creating, Click on Test & Confirm button to make sure that incoming server for both users are well-configured. If everything seems ok, Click on Fetch Now button from both records. Optional, There is also a scheduler for fetchmail process which will trigger after every 5 minutes. Hope, this will help you.

Thanks, Priyesh Solanki

We also have a new feature which is working on the base of alias. While creating OpenERP users, it will automatically create alias for particular user. Condition is that Alias must be Virtual email address with domain of openerp instance like john@examplecompany.openerp.com, jill@examplecompany.openerp.com. Now, if one will send email on this alias address of John/Jill, They both will be able to see the message in OpenERP Inbox related to them after login.

Thanks, Priyesh Solanki

Priyesh Solanki (pso)
on 4/4/13, 9:14 AM

Ah, thanks Priyesh. I don't know what I was thinking to miss that you could just 'create' another inbound mail server. As for the alias configuration, I still don't understand how that works exactly. Does it function like an email address within OpenERP without actually having requiring an email account to be set up on a mail server?

Bill Ennals
on 4/5/13, 2:24 AM

OpenERP 7.0 deploys a new concept called email aliases. The email alias can be given to a user and any OpenERP object. Thus, incoming emails can be integrated automatically in OpenERP. You do not need to configure several email gateways anymore. Each document may have aliases defined for it. These email aliases are based on a given mail alias model. As an example, an incoming mail about an issue can be used to generate a new issue entry in the CRM App.

Make sure not to forget to specify the domain alias in the Settings/Configuration/General Settings menu, section “Email” for this feature.

Priyesh Solanki (pso)
on 4/5/13, 3:41 AM

I understand the concept that if an email is addressed to sales@examplecompany.com, OpenERP can be configured to create a lead in the CRM app and that users in the sales department can receive that lead and that this can be done somehow using aliases. I just can't figure out how to actually do that in Settings/Technical Settings/Email/Aliases. It would be great if someone could describe a step by step process. I'm sure many would benefit. And yes, I set the domain alias to "examplecompany.com". I presume it's not necessary to insert 'openerp' as you did, though tell me if I'm wrong.

Bill Ennals
on 4/5/13, 4:06 AM

No, it's not necessary to insert 'openerp' as i have did before, it was just for example. I meant that you need to set that domain on which instance of Openerp server is running at your end. For ex, If you go to the browser, write in url like examplecompany.com and it triggers to the OpenERP Login page, so in this case, your alias will be set as examplecompany.com. Hope this will help you.

Priyesh Solanki (pso)
on 4/5/13, 4:22 AM

ah, I see. So if I need to type "" into the browser address bar to get to the login page (were just running on a LAN at this stage), then I should enter "" in the domain alias field on the General Settings page? Or is it not necessary to enter the port number, just "" would do?

Bill Ennals
on 4/5/13, 4:43 AM

Marc Cassuto

--Marc Cassuto--
| 4 4 8
Montreal, Canada
--Marc Cassuto--

Marc Cassuto
On 8/28/13, 4:40 PM

Hello Bill,

IMHO, the best way to achieve your original need is :

1. setup a catch-all address at your mail provider.
  2. don't have to set up any "Actions to Perform on Incoming Mails"; neither "Create a New Record " nor "Server Action".
  3. be sure your Alias Domain is set properly (in Settings\Configuration\General settings).
  4. configure the "Fetchmail Service" to be active and ran regularly
  5. set all your user's alias for it to match the mail address

The reason why you don't want to set up an incoming mail server per user is obvious :

• what about you have hundreds users ?
  • you don't want the administrator to have to change the OpenERP configuration each time the mailbox password change.

My 2cents, Marc.

PS: please vote if you find this answer useful.

Hi Marc, Thanks for the answer but I think you missed the point of the question. The original need was to have two different users (Jack and Jill) exclusively receive emails sent specifically to them. Your solution would have both Jack and Jill receiving all emails sent to the catch-all address. In the absence of any useful tutorial on how to setup mail aliases I can only conclude that separate incoming mail servers per user is the only way to do it.

Bill Ennals
on 8/28/13, 8:53 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Asked: 4/4/13, 1:48 AM
Seen: 3681 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM