This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Odoo 10, Enterprise

My accounting skills are improving but...I made a mistake.  I entered an approved home equity line of credit amount as a non-current liability when I created the account (as I recall).  On my balance sheet this shows up as the entire approved amount being outstanding.  What I should have done is increased the non-current liability incrementally as I used it.  I'd like to go back and change the "Initial Balance" (a credit for this account) but I can't find anywhere that I can do this...it's not a journal entry.  I would write an adjusting journal entry with a debit equal to the incorrect Initial Balance entry but am not quite sure what I would credit on the other side.  I'm stuck and any assistance that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Discard

The only way Accounts can get balances is from Journal Items crediting or debiting them. The only way you get a Journal Item is from a Journal Entry, or an Accounting Document (Invoice, Bill, Payment, etc) that creates a Journal Entry. Filter the Journal Items by the Account and you will find which Journal Item credited the Account. Open it to find the Journal Entry that you need to edit or reverse.

Author Best Answer

Ray, thank you for your response...it helped me to figure out 'my' problem that I will elaborate on in hopes that this might help someone else.  When I was looking at the balance sheet I mistakenly assumed that the initial balance meant from when the account was set up.  Rather, it meant the initial balance from the previous fiscal year (a software calculation).  When I changed the date filter to last financial year--when I created the account--the starting balance was $0.00.  Again, thank you for helping me to figure this one out.

Discard