Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Cant generate pdf files and send email for Quote , SO, DO and Invoice - Windows Server- Wkhtmltopdf

By
James Mathews
on 9/19/14, 9:38 AM 3,153 views

Hi, 

did the new installation for odoo in windows server 2008. Everything works fine except the print function for generating pdf files. 

Getting the following eroor. 

Unable to find Wkhtmltopdf on this system. The report will be shown in html.

Installed wkhtmltp pdf also in the server. But it doesnt work. 

Please adivce on this. 

Thanks

James

Hi Jmaes, I've encountered this issue and resolved it in my install script for Ubuntu 14.04, although i'm not sure how this applies to Windows Server. The issue is thrown due to either the lack of or wrong version of the wkhtmltopdf package. I've resolved the issue by installing the latest Wkhtmltopdf package in Ubuntu: Wkhtmltopdf 0.12.1 You can download this from the project's sourceforge page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wkhtmltopdf/ Please post back if this has resolved your issue as well, as I would be interested to know if this resolves the issue in Windows Server or not.

Luke Branch
on 9/20/14, 12:14 AM

Hi luke, As mentioned in my earlier post i have already installed the said package in my windows server , But still getting the same error. I saw your earlier posts for ubuntu and tried in my ubuntu server and it worked well. This issue is only in windows. Because of this send email option is also not working. I think the installed package is not getting detected by odoo.

James Mathews
on 9/20/14, 2:10 AM

@James Matthews, I'll try to take a look at this on an Win 8.1 machine at some point next week and try to figure it out. I think it will have something to do with Odoo not detecting the correct path for wkhtmltopdf.

Luke Branch
on 9/22/14, 11:59 PM

Ben Bernard

--Ben Bernard--
| 4 3 6
Jakarta, Indonesia
--Ben Bernard--
Ben Bernard
On 9/20/14, 11:40 AM

You should search webkit_path here :D

Here an example result: https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/reporting-with-webkit-2467, the relevan anwer is by Thibaut DIRLIK.

Istvan Steve Novak
On 9/19/14, 5:50 PM

I am second to you. I am sure, this is not a bug. Raising an invoice is so basic feature of an "ERP", a 5 bucks invoicing app can do it... Who believes that "Odoo" Team would not have tried to raise any document from the app before they release it? LOL HAHA I am not a kid its only about tricking people into paid support for their "free" app. Unfair as it is. Being fair pays itself. Satisfied free user grows their business and will need customization and extra services, modules etc by time for money... not the opposite, paying already just for having something bug free... it is a DOA product, dead on arrival.

Hi Istvan, This is not a bug, but rather a missing dependency that has not been installed on your system (ie. the wkhtmltopdf package). Odoo relies on a number of OpenSource packages to support it's core software, and wkhtmltopdf is one of these packages. Wkhtmltopdf is basically a package to convert the HTML reports output by Odoo into PDF format. I'd highly recommend reading up on the install process steps, as if you install all of the dependencies you'll have a working Odoo instance on your local machine. If you're not comfortable with working with server configuration yourself then I recommend you either try the online offer (free for two users - https://www.odoo.com/blog/odoo-news-5/post/odoo-the-new-pricing-q3-2014-158) or hire someone to set it up for you. I've prepared a script that can help you set it up automatically on a clean Ubuntu 14.04 install: https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/how-to-install-odoo-from-github-on-ubuntu-14-04-for-testing-purposes-only-ie-not-for-production-52627

Luke Branch
on 9/20/14, 12:20 AM

Hey there,

Thank you so much for trying to help.

Thanks for the Linux script, but please note that I am on Win 8.1 Pro (not server version) and not on Linux. I followed the "How to Install" instruction on Odoo.com which is a two and half lines "instruction" saying the following:

"All-In-One Installation
This is the easiest and quickest way to install OpenERP. It installs all components (OpenERP Server and PostgreSQL database) pre-configured on one computer. This installation is recommended if you do not have any major customizations."

An "All in One" installer is supposed to be all in one.... and nowhere any dependency has been mentioned regarding Windows.

Actually, I already downloaded this wkhtmltopdf from their official website (the latest version, both x32 and x64) and I installed first the x64 (as my Windows is 64bit), but Odoo pdf creation was still not working (same error), than I reinstalled the x32 version as well but there was no change, same result...: same error, no pdf docs in Odoo v8...

Finally I reinstalled odo8 as well, after this dependency was already installed but again, no success with pdf doc creation in Odoo...

In Odoo online version (the free one) it works fine.... I am afraid Odoo is not truly raving for "free offline users"...

I would LOVE to use the Free Online Odoo version, actually it would be ten times better for many reasons, but as far as I can see ODOO decided not to provide ANY BACKUP or DATABASE DOWNLOAD feature for free online users! Am I right? Hopefully not.
Please see my post here regarding this:
https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/openerp-online-what-is-the-backup-policy-and-how-can-i-download-my-database-13532
The download and backup (and database delete) options are all missing from the free online Odoo8 version.

Today I was testing Odoo 8 offline and online, "played with" over 10 hours.... I am tired. ALl I achieved is Ive set up multicompany structure with my UK Ltd and its Hungarian branch office, multicurrency, multilanguages for different doocs etc.

But I am stuck at a point: I created three users (admin with full rights for both companies), user2 only for the parent company and user3 only for the branch company. But when I log in with user2 or user3 there is no ANY data displayed to me (which I already entered for these companies), I can see the data only when I log in with the admin credentials. In spite of that I have set the proper companies for these users, under the user menu.

Please help me with the truth, let me make the proper decission on my ERP use. If you say there is BACKUP and/or database download for the online Odoo8 than I will use that. If it is not available than I will need the solution for the pdf doc creation issue for the offline Odoo8 version and I will use that. You see, a business ERP without backup would be just a lethally dangerous toy for the business.

Thank you!

Istvan Steve Novak
on 9/20/14, 4:04 PM

@Istvan Steve Novak, I'll try to take a look at this on an Win 8.1 machine at some point next week and try to figure it out. I think it will have something to do with Odoo not detecting the correct path for wkhtmltopdf.

Luke Branch
on 9/22/14, 11:59 PM

Hello Luke,

Did you have time for finding a fix for this issue?

I would like to create pdf on my Odoo8 on Win8.1

Br,
Steve

--
Sent from myMail app for Android

Tuesday, 23 September 2014, 05:59AM +0200 from Luke <luke-weairsoft-com@mail.odoo.com>:

@Istvan Steve Novak,

I'll try to take a look at this on an Win 8.1 machine at some point next week and try to figure it out. I think it will have something to do with Odoo not detecting the correct path for wkhtmltopdf. --
Luke
Sent by  OpenERP S.A. using  Odoo about  Forum Post False

Istvan Steve Novak
on 10/10/14, 6:06 AM

Hello Luke,

Any good news for me? Thanks

Sent: Friday, October 10, 2014 12:06 PM
To: OpenERP S.A.
Subject: Re[2]: False

Hello Luke,

Did you have time for finding a fix for this issue?

I would like to create pdf on my Odoo8 on Win8.1

Br,
Steve

--
Sent from myMail app for Android

Tuesday, 23 September 2014, 05:59AM +0200 from Luke <luke-weairsoft-com@mail.odoo.com>:

@Istvan Steve Novak,

I'll try to take a look at this on an Win 8.1 machine at some point next week and try to figure it out. I think it will have something to do with Odoo not detecting the correct path for wkhtmltopdf. --
Luke
Sent by  OpenERP S.A. using  Odoo about  Forum Post False

Istvan Steve Novak
on 10/24/14, 9:23 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

3 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 9/19/14, 9:38 AM
Seen: 3153 times
Last updated: 12/3/15, 3:44 AM