This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Dear all,

I m a newbie in odoo (accounting). In my case, there are negative sign (for example -1000) in my initial balance. How can i entry that negative initial balance?

Thanks.

Discard
Author

i mean negative value for debit. I m using odoo 11

Best Answer

All Journal Items need to be positive.

A negative initial balance may be a credit or debit, it depends on the type of account and the normal balance that account type has.

Normal balance of common accounts:

Asset: Debit
    Bank and Cash: Debit
    Expense: Debit
    Income: Credit
    Liability: Credit
    Owner's Equity: Credit
    Payable: Debit
    Prepayments: Debit
    Receivable: Debit
    Retained Earnings: Credit

If an INCOME account has a negative initial balance, you would enter that as a positive DEBIT.

If an INCOME account has a positive initial balance, you would enter that as a positive CREDIT.

Discard
Author

Thanks Mr. Ray Carnes.

In our initial balance data, the depreciation assets have a negatif sign that placed in DEBIT. It's mean we have to move to CREDIT with positive value?

You should ask the person who made the spreadsheet. A negative DEBIT might be a credit, or it could just be the spreadsheet was exported from a report. On a Report - Accumulated Depreciation negatively affects the DEBIT balance of Assets being depreciated, so might be shown as negative. The meaning of a negative should always be confirmed with someone who knows that the data means.

Thanks Ray! I was stuck with those negative earnings at year-end! (sigh, maybe next year I can buy that Porsche)