This question has been flagged

I'm familiar with Project Management tools like Microsoft Project and the associated terminology and methodology used with them.  I've been trying to get to grips with the Project module and the use of the forecasting functionality.  

I've read up on it in an eBook "Working with Odoo", but that seems to cover v8 and not v9 which is our enterprise version.

In v9, the Gantt view seems based on Forecast records created using a button within the Task view.  Once generated, these Forecast records are in a one-to-many relationship with the originating Task and can be generated multiple times for a Task.

There doesn't appear to be any temporal relationship between the Task and the Stage of a Project with reporting and forecasting not referring to Stages.

I noted that v9 no longer contains a Sequence field which I presume was originally to allow for the setting of Tasks Predecessors and Successors to be set and thus reflect temporal relationships between them.

I've managed to get Project setup as a sort of glorified ToDo list manager with Stages representing physical locations, departments or priorities in which tasks may reside depending upon Project use, but as Stages appear only in the Project View and nowhere else, they appear to be of limited use in scheduling workload.

As tasks can no longer be assigned to teams, I'm quite baffled as to how Project and the forecasting mechanism can be used to schedule work across, say a Production line where each task might be worked upon by different team members in different locations or stages.

Please can someone suggest if and how the Project module can be used to plan workload in a production environment.

Discard
Best Answer

Hi Stuart,

You could use the project module for production but you would probably need some extra / custom development, as you said, for example to add team members.
However, the next Odoo version (V10) will see a major improvement and expansion of MRP, manufacturing, ... 
A lot of the things in your topic suggest that you're looking for this, as you're now trying to force locations in projects to give an example.
Perhaps it might be nice to wait for Odoo V10 so that you could use the new utilities? V10 should be released around oktober / november this year.
Have a look at the preview here: https://www.odoo.com/page/mrp-cloud-software I hope it can help you in the good way.

Regards,
Yenthe

Discard